New Job Manager Of Capital Budget Review In Manitoba
|Manager of Capital Budget Review|
Manager of Capital Budget Review
Company : City of Winnipeg
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
Under the General Direction of the Corporate Manager of Financial Planning and Review, the Manager of Capital Budget Review (MCBR) maintains an effective capital budget/departmental business plan review cycle within an overall fiscal framework and acts as project manager for the development, review and approval processes. The MCBR implements a regular and consistent review forum for departmental business plans, the annual capital budget and multi-year forecast, and an in-year review to support the decision-making process.
This position supports the capital budget decision making process and is involved in related meetings with the Corporate Budget Team, and members of the Executive Policy Committee. The MCBR has a significant and comprehensive interface with City departments to ensure budget guidelines are implemented by providing advice and guidance to departmental controllers. Additional functions include developing and leading an annual capital training session for departments on capital budget development requirements and processes.
This position leads the analysis and review of departmental capital budget submissions and provides direction and support in this regard. The emphasis will be on independent and objective financial analysis of proposals to support the decision-making process, including the challenge of departmental assumptions used in the capital budget submissions.
The MCBR is also responsible for the analysis, estimates and decision support for costing and budgeting of open labour agreements in conjunction with Labour Relations Division of Human Resources Department; providing support and guidance to departments regarding their financial submissions for Municipal Benchmarking Network (MBN) Canada reporting; and reviewing and analyzing inter-governmental funding priorities, budget allocations and commitments.
As the Manager of Capital Budget Review you will:
- Manage the annual development process for the City's capital budgets (tax-supported, utility and special operating agency operations).
- Provide a regular and consistent review forum for the annual capital budget and multi-year forecast, and in-year report preparation with capital budget implications to support the administrative decision making process.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Manager of Financial Planning and Review, facilitate all stages of the decision making process including tabling of the preliminary capital budget through to the adoption by Council of the capital budget.
- Provide direction and support to Senior Financial Review Analysts (SFRA) within the Division (including both direct and all Divisional Staff) and to the Division as a whole.
- Recommend and draft long and short-term corporate fiscal strategy and planning options designed to meet City objectives, participate in developing corporate financial and strategic plans and corresponding financial policies to be widely communicated within the organization.
- Provide direction and support in budget system development to ensure alignment and consistency with overall budget direction.
- Provide analysis, estimates and decision support for costing and budgeting of open labour agreements in conjunction with Labour Relations Division of Human Resources Department.
- Provide support and guidance to departments regarding their annual financial submissions for Municipal Benchmarking Network (MBN) Canada reporting.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce, or Business Administration major in Accounting or other related education.
- Experience researching, analyzing, interpreting, and preparing complex financial and statistical reports, records, or proposals including budgeting and financial analysis.
- Thorough knowledge of the City's budget format, business process, policies and procedures related to budgeting, as well as knowledge of the City's financial reporting and accounting structures would be preferred.
- Supervisory skills demonstrating leadership and mentoring.
- Strong oral communication skills demonstrating the ability to effectively provide advice and recommendations to senior administration and elected officials with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with senior private and public officials, all levels of staff and general public
- Strong written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively apply administrative/HR practices and concepts.
- Ability to meet multiple competing demands in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to proficiently utilize computerized financial systems.
- Ability to apply a solution-oriented approach when analyzing current and established processes to develop budget strategies and initiatives.
- Ability to implement relevant industry best practices towards future innovations
- Ability to understand and interpret the City of Winnipeg Act and other legislation related to the financial matters of the City of Winnipeg.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- IMPORTANT: Applicants who have been educated outside of Canada must have education which is comparable to the minimum qualification in Canada. Applicants submitting foreign credentials require an official academic assessment report issued by a recognized Canadian assessment service https://canalliance.org/en/ at application.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- Certified Professional Accountant (CPA) in good standing.
- Completion of a police record check, at candidate expense, satisfactory to the City of Winnipeg prior to finalization of employment offer.