New Job Labourer, Transportation In Yukon
Company : City of Whitehorse
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
Job posting closes: August 31 , 2023 at 5:00 p.m. (Yukon Standard Time)
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Job Code: 262
Department: Fleet & Transportation Maintenance
The incumbent provides assistance to departmental staff in completing their assigned tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide support to the Operations department including but not limited to:
- Performing labourer duties including: garbage pick-up, illegal dumping cleanup, snow clearing, sweeping, garbage carts delivery and repair, etc.
- Performing safety and maintenance checks, troubleshooting equipment problems, assisting with minor repairs;
- Performing various road repairs and traffic control functions including maintenance and installations, setting up traffic safety zones, flags, and signage;
- Providing land maintenance functions including backfilling excavated sites, shoveling, clearing brush, planting trees/shrubs and building retaining walls/fences;
- Assisting with forming and finishing of concrete curbs, gutters, sidewalks and pads;
- Painting road markings, including those representing crosswalks, handicapped spots, bicycle spots, and parking lots; and
- Repairing signs, including highway and traffic signs and assist with parking meter repairs.
2. Maintain equipment to acceptable standards.
3. Transport and distribute material and tools between jobs and hauls towed equipment.
4. Report maintenance requirements to the Equipment Maintenance department.
5. Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
6. Complete log books and accident and/or other reports as required.
7. Act as Heavy Equipment Operator 1 or Packer/Operator, if qualified.
8. Other related duties.
Four 10-hour shifts per week, Sunday to Saturday, between 0700 and 0700 hours. Exposure to dust/dirt, road conditions, high traffic areas (vehicle, pedestrian, cyclist), fumes/odours, bodily fluids/waste, temperature extreme, inclement weather, noise requiring hearing protection when performing duties. Heavy lifting over 25 kgs. is a regular requirement.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Grade 10.
- Class 5 driver’s license; Class 3 is required to progress to Heavy Equipment Operator positions.
- 1 year related experience and 3 months on the job training.
- Experience working with concrete, roads, sidewalks and paving is an asset.
- Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR Level C.
- Knowledge of traffic and highway safety rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with the public and providing assistance in a variety of situations.
Additional certification required within one and a half years of employment includes but not limited to:
WHMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG); Traffic Control Course; Confined Space Entry, Electrical Safety Course; Chainsaw safety; Class 3 driver’s license with air endorsement, etc.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Pickup truck, 1 ton truck, trailers, 3 ton vibratory rollers, skid steer loader(bobcat), tar kettle, jackhammer, cut-off saw, chainsaw, tamper, pavemaster roller, and cement mixer, 1 ton flat bed truck, water pumps, generators, hand and power tools, electric winch crane, fork lift, diesel compressors, diesel and gas vibratory compactors, rental equipment, ride on sweeper, tool cat, line painting equipment, tree chipping, water and metal detectors, winch/tripod harness, communications equipment and computer applications such as Outlook, Word & ERP.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/our-government/employment/how-to-apply/. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at [email protected].
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.