New Job Finance Coordinator In Alberta
Company : Alberta Law Foundation
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Alberta
The Alberta Law Foundation (the Foundation) is an independent non-profit grant-making foundation that supports programs and projects that enhance the justice system and individuals’ access to legal services. For fifty years the Foundation has pursued its vision of “Accessible justice for all Albertans” by providing funding to non-profit organizations engaged in legal research and law reform, public legal education and information, and the provision of legal advice, representation and support to individuals who cannot afford a lawyer.
The Alberta Law Foundation seeks a full time Finance Coordinator that shares the Foundation’s values of:
- Integrity, excellence and accountability
- Priority for organizations assisting vulnerable populations
- Collaboration, outcome-based evaluation and accountability across the justice sector
- Evidence-based solutions providing the best value and impact
- Responsive to well-identified justice sector needs while recognizing the scope and responsibilities of the government and private sector
- Fiscal transparency and prudence
This position is accountable to the Director of Finance and Administration and is responsible for accounts payable and receivable, reconciliation of major accounts, grants approval and payment monitoring, banking reconciliation and compliance, budget maintenance, audit file preparation and inquiry response, various ad-hoc reporting and analysis when needed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage the full accounts payable cycle from receipt of invoices to payment, including verification of the accuracy of charges, coding invoices to the appropriate budget category code, obtaining approvals, entering and posting invoices into the accounting system.
2. Process expense reports for Board of Directors members and employees making sure the appropriate receipts are provided, the appropriate coding is used for each category of expense, and they are approved by the authorized person.
3. Organize and prepare month-end payment files in the accounting drive as well as in RBC Express to be approved and released by the Executive Director and the Director of Finance and Administration.
4. Complete the cash flow daily tracking report providing the Director of Finance and Administration with timely, accurate information required for making new investments recommendations and forecasting the Foundation’s operational cash flow needs.
5. Manage vendors contact and banking information required for electronic funds transfers (EFT) in both the accounting system and RBC Express.
6. Ensure all accounts payable policies and procedures are adhered to including travel and related expenses, vendor approval and invoices processing.
7. Calculate and record monthly allocation to Legal Aid Alberta (LAA) in accordance with the statutory obligation; process the payment to LAA once a year in September.
8. Monitor, process, and reconcile prepaid expenses and audit accrual fees.
9. Responsible for imaging and record retention of all accounts payable documents for audit purposes. Reconcile and process the corporate credit card(s) collecting all receipts included in each payment.
10. Maintain the Foundation’s grants continuity schedule including approved grants by objective, process payments monthly or every three months in accordance with each grant’s agreement, set up new grantees in the accounting system and RBC Express, reconcile the grant accounts for expenses, refunds, or outstanding funds.
11. Record the revenue from interest on lawyers’ pooled trust accounts (IOLTA) in accordance with Law Society Alberta (LSA) compliance requirements and major banks agreements.
12. Post and reconcile the investment income revenue and any other revenue the Foundation may receive.
13. Collect, record and file Letters of Direction law firms send to the Foundation as part of their LSA compliance requirements.
14. Prepare bank deposits and deliver them to RBC, as required.
15. Reconcile the IOLTA revenue monthly with the bank summary tracking report individually for each bank, investigating any potential discrepancies.
16. Perform the monthly bank reconciliation for the main account and for the small operational account.
Other Related Duties
17. Enter the Foundation’s annual operating budget in the accounting system and assist the Director of Finance and Administration with the monitoring reports for budget versus actual monthly, quarterly, and annually to reflect the Foundation’s performance.
18. Post the monthly payroll and investments performance journal entry after approved by the Director of Finance and Administration.
19. Participate in the annual compliance reconciliation of IOLTA accounts with each bank including comparing the data reported by each bank and the data collected by LSA, determining exceptions from compliance, assisting the Director of Finance and Administration in the process of clearing these exceptions and having complete revenue forwarded to the Foundation in a timely manner.
20. Assist the Director of Finance and Administration with quarterly reporting to the FARM Committee as needed.
21. Actively participate in year-end closing procedures, prepare, and organize the annual audit data file and support the Director of Finance and Administration in the audit process by answering questions pertaining to accounts payable and receivable, as needed.
22. Work collaboratively with the Director of Finance and Administration and other Foundation staff on a range of finance, program and administrative issues and special projects, as required.
Education, Training and Experience
This position requires accounting, economics, or equivalent education with three years of experience in a similar role, preferably in the not-for-profit sector. It calls for a person with a strong background and proven skills in the areas of financial operations and the processing and analyzing of financial data.
Skills and Attributes
- Embodies the Foundation’s values and aligns with its vision and mission.
- A seasoned professional with a strong work ethic.
- Demonstrates strong initiative and excellent judgment.
- Attention to detail while understanding the big picture.
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Exhibits excellent organizational skills and commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Has excellent time management skills – able to work within a tight schedule and meet deadlines.
- Portrays a positive and professional presence with very good interpersonal skills.
- Flexible, adaptable, and open to change.
- Team player in a small staff work environment.
- Competent in various accounting tools and software including Sage, superior skills in Microsoft Excel, competent in other standard office technology (e.g., MS Office, Adobe Acrobat).
The Foundation values diversity of all kinds including ethnicity, gender, experience, background and skill. We seek a team that reflects the diversity of our province and the communities we serve.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, this is a full-time position located in Calgary, Alberta, with a targeted start date of September 2023. The Alberta Law Foundation is prepared to offer a competitive compensation based on the successful applicant’s qualifications and experience. Further information about the Foundation can be found at www.albertalawfoundation.org.
E-mail a resume and cover letter to [email protected] by August 18, 2023, indicating “Finance Coordinator” in the subject line. We thank all those expressing interest in the Foundation, however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.