New Job Treaty Fisheries Manager (Rights-Based) In Nova Scotia
|Treaty Fisheries Manager (Rights-Based)|
Treaty Fisheries Manager (Rights-Based)
Company : Sipekne'katik Band Council
Salary : $47,428–$103,613 a year
Location : Nova Scotia
Treaty Fisheries Manager (Rights-Based)
Closing Date: July 27, 2023
This position is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Sipekne’katik Band’s rights- based treaty fishery operations. This includes Treaty Fisheries (moderate livelihood) and Food,
Social and Ceremonial Fisheries and the implementation of Sipekne’katik’s management plans in relation to these fisheries.
- Chair the Fisheries Management Committee for Treaty Fishery (moderate livelihood) and
Food, Social and Ceremonial (FSC) fisheries.
- Development of Rights Implementation Management Plans for all species.
- Negotiate and make recommendations for fisher contracts and address contract issues.
- Regular communications with fishers to address issues identified by fishers and staff.
- Receive and review logbooks from fishers and monitor Treaty Fishery (moderate livelihood) and FSC Fishery.
- Ensure information is distributed to community, council and fishers on a timely basis.
- Prepare land reports for Band Council under direction of Supervisors(s).
- Arrange payment of invoices and bills related to Fishery operations.
- Approve Treaty Fishery and FSC tags to band members.
- Keep informed and updated on financial reports for the fisheries.
- Monitor financial records, budgets and reports for the Treaty Fisheries and FSC.
- Coordinate dockside monitors and at-sea observers, when needed.
- Liaison with government representatives on matters related to fisheries.
- Ensure the Fisheries Department is meeting OH&S legislative requirements.
- Keep Council informed of any issues that arise that may impact current agreements and policy, up to and including any altercations related to band fisheries operations.
- Address other resource management matters as deemed appropriate by the
- Work closely with the Commercial Fisheries Manager to prepare and monitor fishery plans and budgets, negotiated service contracts and approval of Treaty and FSC tags to band members.
- General Daily office duties such as answering phones, receiving visitors, setting up meetings, filing, preparing reports/correspondence, processing invoices, maintaining finance records and creating tracking systems, etc.
- Other related duties as assigned by Supervisor(s).
- At least 3 years’ experience in the fishing industry or equivalency.
- Ability to manage budgets and reporting.
- Must be able to deal with conflict.
- Proficiency using MS Office.
- Knowledge of First Nations Treaties including Treaty Fishery (Moderate Livelihood) and
- Strong communication, strategic thinking and negotiations skills.
- Ability to interpret internal policies as well as all federal laws, regulations and protocols.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, vehicle and ability to travel.
- Open to, and interested in, obtaining the required skills and competencies for the position.
- Must submit a satisfactory criminal record check. Having a criminal record is not necessarily a determinate factor.
This position comes with a variety of benefits including health, dental, disability and life insurances, an employee & family assistance program and employer pension plan. Starting salary based on qualifications.
Please apply with a resume, cover letter (applicants who self-identify as indigenous are to state their community ties in their cover letter) and criminal records check to:
Email [email protected]
Sipeknekatik is an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority in accordance with the
Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. The Band will not assume any expenses related to any job application process, included but not limited to travel, relocation, and application development. Please note certain positions come with mandatory employee benefits. Only those applicants who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $47,428.30-$103,612.86 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Indian Brook 14, NS B0N 2H0: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-07-27