New Job Transit Driver In Ontario
Join our team as a Transit Driver! This is an exciting opportunity for a customer focused individual that is driven by the need to help others. Be an ambassador for the City of Brampton and give back to the community.
Posting number: 105513
Transit Drivers work various shifts (straight, split, days, nights, weekends, and holidays) any 5 days of the week with a typical minimum of 40 hours per week, and possible overtime offered thereafter.
The Role Involves:
- Operating a transit bus, collecting fares from clients, issuing transfers and following a pre-assigned route
- Being responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle, safety of all passengers and respect for other users of the road
- Providing high quality customer service and information to the public regarding transit routes
- Maintaining and adhering to operational schedules and abiding by Highway Traffic Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, all other applicable legislation, city policies and procedures. Documenting incidents and reports to coordinators/supervisor.
Transit driving is a rewarding career with great benefits:
- Flexible work schedule
- Competitive salaries
- Fully paid five-week training program
- Group benefits (including health and dental)
- Development opportunities for advancement to supervisory roles
- Learning and development
- Independent work
- Inclusive workplace culture where you can be yourself
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Exceptional face to face customer service
- Passionate about your community
- Effective listener and communicator with a positive attitude
- Personable and respectful of others
- Resilient when faced with difficult situations
- Calm under pressure, patient
- Effective conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
- Completed Grade 12 education or equivalent secondary education as established by the Ontario Ministry of Education. A Canadian equivalency document is required for education obtained outside of Canada.
- 2-years of strong face to face customer service skills as demonstrated through previous work experience.
- Possession of a valid non-probationary Ontario Class "G" Driver's Licence in good standing.
- A current class CZ licence in good standing, or the ability to upgrade an existing class G driver’s licence to a class CZ licence.
- A 3-year Driver’s Abstract (with no infractions, offences, convictions, demerit points or accidents – no exceptions) dated within 4 weeks of your application date. Do not submit a CVOR (Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration) as this will not be accepted. Driver’s Abstracts that do not meet this criteria will not be accepted.
- Previous transit bus driving experience an asset.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Able to read, understand and follow written rules and procedures along with verbal instructions combined with an ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to be resilient when faced with difficult circumstances.
- An exceptional ability to communicate effectively with a positive attitude and overcome difficult and tense customer interactions.
- Able to work all shifts, variable hours, including weekends and statutory holidays.
- In-depth knowledge of streets and locations within the City of Brampton and connecting communities.
- Able to handle physical demands of the job. Able to work outside and in all weather conditions.
- Strong time management and organizational skills. Able to work independently and as part of a team in a fast paced environment.
- Able to wear required personal protective equipment.
Based on previous growth over the past 5 years, temporary Transit Drivers with satisfactory performance were successful in obtaining full-time positions within 12-18 months of being hired. The current top rate of pay for a full-time Transit Driver is $38.05 per hour.
To help us learn more about you, please submit your resume and a 3-Year driver’s abstract ( dated within 4 weeks of your applicatio n date ) describing how you meet the following requirements. Please note CVOR’s are not accepted.
** Various tests and/or exams will be administered as part of the selection process .
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by clicking the button above quoting reference #105513 by August 7, 2023 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected to proceed in the recruitment process will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Communication is done via the email used in your candidate profile when applying. Please sure that the email address on your resume is the same as the email address in your candidate profile. Please check your junk mail when waiting for a response.
As part of the application process, applicants will be invited to complete a self identification survey. The survey is voluntary. Participation in the survey will have no impact on hiring decisions. All information collected is confidential and will not be shared with the hiring manager. The surveys will be anonymized and will be kept separate from applicant or employee files, such that the individuals who completed the surveys will not be identifiable. The results of the survey will assist in the analysis of disaggregated metrics for organizational planning purposes and our commitment to advance and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. The City may use anonymized data to produce aggregate reports for internal or external use.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.