New Job Trades Ii - Painter In British Columbia
|Trades II - Painter|
Trades II - Painter
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $41.95 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Requisition ID: 38857
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Trades II Painter completes painting & decorating at the journeyman level involving the application of fundamental trade practices to a variety of painting tasks of some complexity. Under limited supervision, this position will be responsible for directing the work of subordinates performing routine painting & preparation tasks. A Trades II Painter works under the general supervision of a Superintendent but is allowed considerable scope on the technical aspects of the work. Oral assignments, often accompanied by job orders, including sketches or blueprints, are issued by a supervisor. Conformance to established trade practices, standards, safe and efficient equipment operation is required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for following current trade practices, preparing a variety of substrates in preparation for applying finish materials. Responsibilities also include using brushes, rollers or spray equipment to apply coatings of various classes/types, working alongside co-workers and various other departments, The successful candidate will perform painting, striping, marbling, graining and finishing, operate a service truck safely and efficiently to transport materials and equipment. This position performs a variety of painting and graphic tasks in Park Board buildings and structures. Accurately and efficiently prepare and maintain records related to the work (some of which may be on computer or on mobile devices).
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the tenth school grade preferably supplemented by technical courses related to the work.
- Completion of an apprenticeship in painting & decorating.
- Considerable experience as a trades qualified Painter & Decorator.
- Preference given to candidates with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the painting & decorating industry.
- Experience with the safe operation of various types of PPE, aerial lift equipment, fall protection equipment, spray equipment, trade related hand tools, cleaning and care of equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in a variety of painting & decorating tasks.
- Ability to show good judgement in response to problematic or dynamic situations.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to work alongside co-workers and various other departments in a respective and cohesive manner is required.
- Ability to establish & maintain effective working relationships and to communicate clearly and effectively, in writing and verbally, with the public & other staff members
- Ability to assign and supervise the work of subordinates engaged in tasks related to the shop or painting and decorating tasks.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and work from sketches and drawings.
- Ability to maintain records related to the work, keep an inventory of consumable materials, supplies and capital equipment, as required.
- Skill in performing a variety of painting & decorating tasks on a variety of surfaces.
- Skill in finishing or re-finishing furniture as required.
Required License, Certificates, and Record Checks:
- B.C. Painting & Decorating Certificate of Qualification (Red Seal) or equivalent qualification.
- Current and valid BC Class 5 driver’s License
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $41.95 per hour
Application Close: July 7, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.