New Job Project Manager In Alberta
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $6,202–$8,346 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 44943
Location: Calgary AB
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: August 04, 2023
Classification: Management Manager Zone 2
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported.
We believe in building careers and providing opportunities to develop within the organization. We also provide our staff with a work-life balance including reasonable hours of work and support for wellness at work with a series of activities over the lunch break and after office hours. In short, we provide staff with the tools and support they need to excel. Working together we will promote the Alberta Public Service Values of Respect, Integrity, Accountability and Excellence.
As the Project Manager, you will be reporting to a Senior Project Manager or one of five Directors within the Health Facilities Branch, the project manager directly manages the delivery of assigned health capital projects. As the project team leader, the project manager defines project requirements with clients; coordinates the activities of in-house team members, private sector consultants, and contractors; and ensures that project scope, time, cost and quality objectives are met. The project manager ensures all phases of project activities comply with government and ministry legislation, policies, guidelines, standards and procedures.
The project manager plans and manages activities and resources to effectively deliver assigned projects within scope, schedule, and budget constraints and in compliance with relevant legislation, policies, standards, and guidelines. Issues and problems with projects can expose senior government officials to negative comments and may lead to requests for additional funding. The project manager is expected to recognize potential issues, including those with political sensitivity and alert senior ministry officials, as well as develop recommendations and solutions to resolve or avoid identified challenges.
As the Project Manager, your main responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Establish, manage and direct the project teams to successfully deliver assigned projects
- Establish project scope, budget, and parameters to meet client requirements
- Design and tender construction and building commissioning processes for assigned projects are managed appropriately
- Maintain and monitor administrative controls for projects
A key component of this position is working with stakeholders and industry to achieve results, requiring extensive professional knowledge of project management principles including knowledge of procurement, design, and construction disciplines.
- A four-year degree or diploma in a related field (such as Architecture or Engineering)
- PLUS 4 years of related experience
- Equivalencies will be considered on a one-for-one basis
- one year of education for one year of experience, or one year of experience for one year of education.
- Other equivalencies to be considered include:
- A technical diploma in a related field plus a minimum of 6 years of related project management experience
- A Journeymen or Master's trade certificate plus a minimum of 6 years of related project management experience
Experience or knowledge that will be considered and asset:
- Certification as a construction administrator or project manager
- Experience in and knowledge of health facility planning, design, construction and building commissioning processes and standards, and document requirements
- Extensive knowledge of project management techniques and methodologies under different delivery models, including contract management
- Knowledge of basic planning, design, construction and building commissioning theories, disciplines and process, including those related to architecture and structural, mechanical and electrical engineering
- Knowledge of Provincial and national building standards and codes, construction industry and trades definitions, building systems and components/products and job-site safety regulations
- Experience with leading and managing all aspects of work performed by in-house technical teams, private sector consultants, and contractors
- Experience delivering projects from the owner’s representative perspective
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
The following competencies are essential for this position:
- Agility – you consistently take action and remain objective under pressure by making well-thought through decisions
- Drive for Results – you take and delegate responsibility for outcomes using a variety of resources
- Systems Thinking – you take a holistic and long-term view of challenges and integrate in-depth knowledge of underlying issues, the political environment, and potential risks when considering possible actions
- Creative Problem Solving – you identify several analytical techniques and sources of knowledge to break apart complex problems
$3,100.80 to $4,172.77 bi-weekly ($80,930 - $108,909/year)
Hours of Work:
7.25 hours a day / 36.25 hours a week.
Term of Employment:
Pre-employment checks will be completed to assess the candidate’s suitability for a role. These checks can include (but are not limited to): references, criminal record check, academic verification, driver’s abstract, and etcetera
Instructions for your Resume:
For Employment Experience:
Please indicate duration of employment (month, year)
Please specify employment status (i.e. Casual, part-time or full-time)
Ex: Youth Worker, Jan 2006 - June 2009, Part-time (three 8 hr. shifts/week)
For any Post-Secondary Education:
Please specify your major and length of program
Please specify the year you graduated
Ex: Bachelor of Social Work, 4-year Degree (Graduated 2017)
Links and information on what the GoA has to offer to prospective employees:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Gloria Ducharme at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check