New Job Legislative Assistant In Ontario
Company : Regional Municipality of Peel
Salary : $53,110–$66,389 a year
Location : Ontario
Corporate Services – Legislative Services – Clerks
Work Mode: Hybrid * see below for more details about this work mode.
Reporting to the Legislative Specialist, Legislative Services, the Legislative Assistant seeks to add value by providing a wide range of professional administrative duties requiring a high level of accuracy, confidentiality and discretion.
Are you a team player committed to building partnerships with stakeholders across the organization?
Are you technically savvy with a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite?
Are you familiar with council procedures?
If so, this may be the role for you!
What you will do in this role:
- Assisting the Legislative Specialist in the day-to-day operations relating to Regional Council/Committee related activities
- Provide guidance and respond to inquiries on the eScribe software
- Development and coordination of Council/Committee agendas through the utilization of eScribe software
- Attend Council and Committee meetings and provide technical and administrative support to Members of Council and staff
- Coordinate Council/Committee meeting schedules by maintaining current information on Pathways and Internet sites
- Conduct research assignments and retrieve information upon request
- Prepare correspondence arising from Council meetings
- Back up support to other Legislative Assistants, as required
- Responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of records
- Excellent customer service skills
- Manage documents in Electronic Information Management (EIM) enterprise and eScribe
What the role requires:
- Post-secondary education in a related field of studies. A minimum of three years relevant experience in a related environment (preferably municipal) is an asset. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered
- Demonstrated knowledge of Regional business units, services provided, and Council decision-making
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in the entire Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint); Adobe Acrobat/Professional
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to liaise effectively with clients, Regional Councillors and the public.
- Solid technical skills and the ability to learn new software applications.
- Knowledge of document management systems such as Electronic Information Management (EIM).
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to handle multiple and very tight deadlines.
- Detail-oriented with excellent proofreading/editing skills.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- An ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- An ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias
Nice to have:
Familiarity with eScribe or an agenda management system is an asset
Perks @ Peel and why you will love working for us:
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, Vision benefit plan including psychological health (effective start date)
- % in lieu of benefits
- Voluntary enrolment into OMERS pension plan
- Accrue Vacation on a monthly basis up to 3 weeks per annum
- 3 Paid personal days and floating holidays
- Flexible hours supporting your wellness and wellbeing
- Annual performance review and merit increases based on performance
- Supportive leadership and a culture of respect and inclusion
- Access to tuition reimbursement (where applicable) and learning and development resources
The Region of Peel offers job based flexible hours of work that allows employees to manage personal and professional responsibilities while at the same time ensures business operational needs and customer service expectations are achieved.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
At Peel Region, we value being open and transparent with our community. The Ontario government has passed legislation that will dissolve Peel Region on January 1, 2025. Peel remains committed to providing uninterrupted services to our residents and businesses through the transition. Skilled and qualified professionals are and will be needed to deliver services to the Peel community regardless of the governance model. For information about our transition and how we continue delivering services, visit peelregion.ca/transition.
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply on-line.
As part of the Region’s ongoing commitment to health and safety, there are enhanced COVID-19 specific safety protocols and/or personal protective equipment requirements (e.g. masks, eye protection, etc.) in place to help protect health and safety. The additional requirements are determined based on the nature of the work being carried out.
Our workforce is 6,500 strong and since 1974, we’ve been delivering a wide range of resident focused services. Our services include paramedic services, health programs, long-term care and services for seniors, child care support, garbage collection and recycling, waste water and water treatment, road maintenance, financial assistance, and housing support.
Recognized by Canada's Healthy Workplace Month® with the Great Employer Award presented by Excellence Canada, Peel Region is a place where everyone feels they belong. We strive to develop a workplace that values and respects diversity, practices inclusion, recognizes the unique contributions and abilities of all people and facilitates innovative thinking. At Peel Region, people come first. Each employee has an important role within our community and when we work together, it’s impactful. We encourage you to join us in delivering essential services and programs to our diverse community. You won't find a better opportunity than Peel Region.
The Region of Peel is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process, upon request. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. Accessible formats and communication supports are available. Please contact [email protected].
Please be advised, the Region of Peel uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the position and your application will be removed from the competition.