New Job Labourer In Manitoba
Position Title: Labourer
Competition No: 2023-34
Department: Culture Recreation and Green Transportation
Close Date: July 17th, 2023, at 4:00 p.m.
Probation Rate: $19.67
2022-2024 CBA Rate
Regular Rate: $20.71
2022-2024 CBA Rate
Hours of Work: 40 hours/week
Employment Type: Permanent
Located 20 minutes from Winnipeg, Selkirk is a vibrant small city with a hometown feel. Our close- knit community loves to celebrate, learn and explore in the company of good neighbours. All through the year, there are many opportunities to enjoy local talent, learn about our past and seek out new interests.
Under the general supervisory direction of the Manager of Parks and Recreation Facilities, the
Labourer is responsible for performing general labour and custodial duties related to the operation and maintenance of Parks and Recreation facilities.
1. Carry out labour and custodial duties within arenas, halls and other recreational facilities.
2. Carry out labour duties within all public parks, playgrounds, athletic fields, municipal building grounds, and other green spaces.
3. Operate safely a variety of hand tools and small equipment such as weed trimmers, push mowers, roto tillers, snow blowers, and other equipment of a like nature.
4. Perform pre-trip inspections, routine checks, minor servicing, cleaning and basic maintenance of the equipment they are operating.
5. Inform the Manager or Mechanic of any required significant maintenance or safety problems of small equipment they are operating.
6. In the course of carrying out daily tasks, the Labourer must practice established safety rules and regulations for the protection of self, fellow employees, the public and property, or equipment operated, by being continuously aware of existing and new safety procedures of the department.
7. Operate competently pick-up trucks with or without attached trailers for the purpose of transporting material as required by the Division.
8. Establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contracts and the public, in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Policy.
9. Perform a variety of duties, on a relief basis, within the following 2 positions: Light Equipment Operator and Parks/Arena Attendant.
10. Provide support services within the City of Selkirk Emergency Plan in the event of an emergency as required.
11. Provide support and training to other employees as required.
12. Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Minimum Requirements:
Minimum Requirements shall include:
- Grade 12 Education or General Education Development (G.E.D.)
- Valid WHMIS Certification
- Valid Manitoba Class 5 Drivers Licence
- Confirmed skill in the operation of designated equipment and hand tools
- Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. This includes the ability to understand written and verbal instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
- Knowledge and understanding of the occupational hazards, safety precautions, regulations and procedures that are applicable to the area of work
- Demonstrated competence in safe work practices
- Willingness and ability to work shift work, callouts and overtime as required
- Must be able to work in a parks and recreation facility environment and outdoors, which includes extreme weather conditions
- Ability to operate competently a pick-up truck with an attached trailer
- Pool-Spa Operator Certificate or equivalent
- Refrigeration Operation Level I & II
- Mobile Stage Certification
- Arborist Certification
- Power Engineer’s Certification Refrigeration Class
- Considerable skill in the operation of designated equipment including but not limited to the following: farm tractors, riding mowers, skid steer loaders, Zamboni, plows and lawn sweepers
- 1-year experience in parks and facilities in a municipal corporation or similar vocation
Visit our website https://www.myselkirk.ca/ to apply online via our Career Connecter website.
Applicants will need to create a profile and submit an application for consideration.
This permanent unionized position is open to all applicants. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. on July 17th, 2023.
The City of Selkirk is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an inclusive work environment. Applicants who require accommodation during the hiring process are encouraged to contact the City’s Human Resources Division.
Thank you to all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
NOTE: Employees will be required to adhere to the City’s Vaccination Policy.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: Up to $20.71 per hour
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-07-17