New Job Health Promoter In Ontario
Company : Regional Municipality of Peel
Salary : $73,482–$91,853 a year
Location : Ontario
Health Promoter – Harm Reduction Team
Health Services – Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Status: (1) Long Contract Full Time – 13 Months
Salary Range: $73,482 - $91,853 per annum (plus comprehensive benefits)
Work mode: Hybrid* see below for more details about this work mode
Location: 7120 Hurontario street, Mississauga, ON
Hours of work: 35 hour/week
We are seeking a result driven health promoter with experience and skills in working collaboratively with internal and external partners to implement programs and policies. The Harm Reduction Program (HRP) delivers services based on the Ontario Public Health Standards, 2018 and the Substance Use Prevention and Harm Reduction Guideline, 2018.
The Harm Reduction Program is committed to working with people who use drugs to have increased access to safer sexual health and harm reduction materials, services and supports that reduces risk from harm related drug use be it injecting, inhaling, smoking or overdose by the toxic drug supply in our communities. Services include helping prevent exposure to sexually transmitted infections and blood-borne infections. All services are free and confidential. No Health Card is needed.
What you will do in this role:
- Plan, support, develop, implement, and evaluate health promotion programs, policies and strategies
- Interpret and analyze information to provide program related recommendations
- Conduct community needs assessments, jurisdictional scans and situational assessments
- Prepare detailed documentation, reports, and briefing notes
- Analyze population level health data to determine appropriate implications, uses, gaps and limitations
- Develop written and visual communication products for social media, websites and presentations
- Communicate effectively with individuals, groups, and partners to transfer public health knowledge and skill
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external partners
- Work to facilitate community mobilization and/or strengthen community capacities to take action on and improve health issues
- Apply health promotion knowledge and knowledge of public health sciences including population health, social determinants of health, epidemiology and applicable legislation
- Ensure issues of diversity, ethnicity, language and culture are reflected in health promotion planning and programs
What the role requires:
- University degree in a relevant health-related field
- Minimum 1-year related experience in program planning, development, implementation and evaluation
- Previous experience in Public Health
- Background and understanding of research methods, policy implementation, analysis and critical appraisal including awareness of evidence informed decision making
- Knowledge of public health sciences including population health, social determinants of health, harm reduction theory and practice, epidemiology, and applicable legislation
- Knowledge and demonstrated expertise in using key theoretical models of health promotion
- Competence in Windows, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook programs
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills to interpret and apply data
- Demonstrated facilitation, partnership/collaboration, project management, planning, problem-solving and organizational skills
Perks @ Peel and why you will love working for us:
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision benefit plan (where applicable)
- Automatic enrolment into OMERS pension plan (where applicable)
- Accrue Vacation on a monthly basis (where applicable)
- 3 Paid personal days and floating holidays (where applicable)
- Flexible hours supporting your wellness and wellbeing
- Annual performance review and merit increases based on performance
- Supportive leadership and a culture of respect and inclusion
- Access to tuition reimbursement (where applicable) and learning and development resources
Work Mode & Job Location:
In this role you will have the ability to work remotely and attend on-site when required based on operational requirements at the 7120 Hurontario Street, Mississauga, ON worksite. The frequency of on-site activities may vary on a weekly basis and based on operational requirements. Your remote work location must be located within the province of Ontario.
The Region of Peel offers job based flexible hours of work that allows employees to manage personal and professional responsibilities while at the same time ensures business operational needs and customer service expectations are achieved.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
You may have seen or heard Peel Region’s presence in the media surrounding the announcement and legislation passed by the Ford government regarding the structure of our municipal government. At Peel Region, we value being open and transparent with our community, and want to ensure you are informed and up to date. Regardless of governance models that support the residents of Peel, skilled and qualified talent is, and will be, needed to deliver services to the community that we serve. Peel Region remains committed to working with all partners, providing information to inform decisions. For additional information and latest updates about the governance announcement, please visit our News Release webpage.
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply on-line.
As part of the Region’s ongoing commitment to health and safety, there are enhanced COVID-19 specific safety protocols and/or personal protective equipment requirements (e.g. masks, eye protection, etc.) in place to help protect health and safety. The additional requirements are determined based on the nature of the work being carried out.
Our workforce is 6,500 strong and since 1974, we’ve been delivering a wide range of resident focused services. Our services include paramedic services, health programs, long-term care and services for seniors, child care support, garbage collection and recycling, waste water and water treatment, road maintenance, financial assistance, and housing support.
Recognized by Canada's Healthy Workplace Month® with the Great Employer Award presented by Excellence Canada, Peel Region is a place where everyone feels they belong. We strive to develop a workplace that values and respects diversity, practices inclusion, recognizes the unique contributions and abilities of all people and facilitates innovative thinking. At Peel Region, people come first. Each employee has an important role within our community and when we work together, it’s impactful. We encourage you to join us in delivering essential services and programs to our diverse community. You won't find a better opportunity than Peel Region.
The Region of Peel is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process, upon request. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. Accessible formats and communication supports are available. Please contact [email protected].
Please be advised, the Region of Peel uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the position and your application will be removed from the competition.