New Job Head, Technical Quality Assurance And Compliance Unit In Quebec
|Head, Technical Quality Assurance and Compliance Unit|
Head, Technical Quality Assurance and Compliance Unit
Company : United Nations
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Quebec
The Technical Quality Assurance & Compliance Unit (TQACU), is responsible for fulfilling in a timely and efficient manner, technical quality assurance during the implementation of projects for goods and services which arise from technical cooperation projects in line with ICAO’s procurement rules and regulations. The TQACU is also responsible for providing technical support and assistance to the Project Manager in terms of compliance of project deliverables to standards, specification items and contractual requirements as per the quality management approach defined throughout the life of the project.
Supporting staff members and managers, in terms of technical policy, is an essential feature to TCB. The proper application of regulations and management of technical policy and activities, whether in procurement, field operations, or field personnel is key to deliver a consistent and a high quality service in these areas in a transparent and efficient manner.
The incumbent reports directly to the Chief, Technical Support & Quality Assurance Section (TSQAS), with whom s/he consults on complex technical issues. Furthermore, the incumbent, as Head of the Technical Quality Assurance Unit, directly supervises Technical Officer(s), and General Service staff members. The supervisory level includes technical supervision, coaching and training, as well as performance evaluation, delegation and distribution of tasks and decisions on priorities.
Leads, supervises and manages the work and staff of the Technical Quality Assurance & Compliance Unit, achieving results such as:
- Supervise and provide direction to TQACU staff, motivating them and fostering good performance and teamwork, and evaluate staff performance.
- Organize and manage assigned technical and administrative resources to provide timely and effective service delivery, identifying and addressing gaps.
- Define work strategies for the Unit to ensure comprehensive provision of documentation and support services.
- Establish, monitor, and report on work and annual performance plans for staff, ensuring appropriate distribution of tasks and adjusting priorities as required to meet operational needs.
- Design and implement coaching and training strategies to enhance staff capabilities, productivity and performance.
- Supervise and oversee the activities of the Technical Officers to ensure efficient and timely delivery of tasks such as the technical support during Implementation and warranty management through effective workload analysis and capacity assessment.
- Prepare regular periodic statistical reports and analyse issues and trends for decision making by the senior management.
- Chair or participate in technical meetings and working groups held inside and outside ICAO in order to support and promote TCB activities.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Leads and oversees the successful completion of major project milestones such as acceptance tests/factory inspections and commissioning of equipment/systems, achieving results such as:
- Ensure required number and quality of technical consultants, formulate their terms of reference, and oversee that recruitment requests are duly issued in line with the overall project plan.
- Monitor and review the performance and competency of Technical Consultants recruited.
- Oversee the review, technical iterations and finally provide approval recommendation to end-users for the System Design Documentation, Factory and Site Acceptance Test Protocols/procedures and Training plan/syllabus by the contractor.
- Ensure the execution of Factory/Site Acceptance tests, submission of progress reports, and other technical deliverables under procurement contracts or project documents.
- Participate in Factory Acceptance Tests (FATs) and sign FAT Certificates on behalf of ICAO.
- Supervise activities of the Implementation Support Unit in preparation of technical project progress reports, comments on technical deliverables, FAT/SAT certificates, etc.
- Through external experts, perform the commissioning of goods and services in the field.
- Lead and/or participate in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc. as required in support of TCB projects and management service agreements.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Provides technical guidance and inputs in project implementation, for the Field Operations Section, achieving results such as:
- Assist the Project Manager in defining the Quality Management Approach suitable to the specific projects.
- Oversee the preparation of technical project implementation progress reports in accordance with the stages defined in a timely manner.
- Perform consulting assignments, in collaboration with the Field Operations Section, by planning and facilitating workshops on developing technical components for the implementation support (Subject matter experts and budget) of Management Service Agreements and project documents, including profiles for project experts, in collaboration with the Field Personnel Section.
- Provide direct technical input, or through subject matter experts, for project implementation.
- Ensure accurate preparation of Technical Support Services Fee estimates to project budget preparation and effective disbursement of the budget during implementation to ensure there is no cost over-run in the project.
- Conduct/oversee the technical review of pertinent documents related to Projects throughout the life of the project.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Carries out project quality assurance and compliance activities, achieving results such as:
- Ensure that technical activities of the section comply with the relevant ICAO policies, processes, procedures and industry standards.
- Ensure that project deliverables comply with the requirements of the applicable quality management approach defined for the project.
- Assess whether the solution complies with the user’s needs and is progressing towards that target.
- Ensure that the quality activities relating to products at all management stages have appropriate user representation.
- Ensure that quality control and compliance procedures are used correctly to ensure that products complies to user requirements.
- Review the product descriptions and ensure compliance with the technical specification and other requirements stipulated in the contract.
- Advise on the quality management approach and change control approach.
- Advise on the selection of the solutions development strategy, design and methods.
- Ensure that any supplier and operating standards defined for the project are complied with, and used to good effect.
- Advise on potential changes and their impact on the correctness, completeness and integrity of products against their product description.
- Monitor any risks in the implementation aspects of the project.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Carries out internal and external liaison activities, achieving results such as:
- Under the guidance of the Chief of TSQAS, establish and maintain contacts with Subject Matter Experts and senior managers in other Bureaux, Regional Offices and field projects.
- Coordinate and manage, through DD/TCB, with Civil Aviation entities, National Technical Staff, representatives of suppliers of goods and services at different levels as related to TCB Projects.
- Provide input on briefing/debriefing for TCB Project technical requirements and aspects.
- Brief/debrief technical consultants prior to and upon completion of their assignment and evaluate their performance.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge of ICAO functions, standards and recommended practices (Annexes 1 through 18), organization and international activities in developing and implementation of standards and recommended practices in areas related to flight operations, airworthiness, communication, navigation, surveillance and air traffic control, in particular the Aviation Systems Block Upgrade (ASBU) framework. Strong Project Management skills in the implementation of complex projects in the Air Transport Industry (ATI). Ability to clearly oversee the development of high standard technical documentation including project and programme documents, specifications, terms of reference, evaluation criteria, mission reports, and acceptance reports. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- An advanced level university degree in business administration, engineering, information technology, or in a related field is desirable.
- Public Procurement Certificate (such as CIPS II or above) is required.
- Strong and proven experience in implementation of complex civil aviation (CNS/ATM, Airports, etc.) projects that include both operational aspects and considerations as well as on-site project management requirements is required.
- Experience in an international public environment dealing with complex technical aviation activities is desirable.
Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English is required.
A working knowledge of Spanish is desirable.
A working knowledge of any other language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian) is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.Special Notice
The ICAO Assembly recently reaffirmed its commitment to enhancing gender equality and the advancement of women by supporting UN Sustainable Development Goal 5 “Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.”
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for ICAO positions, especially in the Professional and higher level categories.
It should be noted that this post is to be filled on a fixed-term basis for an initial period of 3 years (first year is probationary for an external candidate).
ICAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Secretary General and may be assigned to any activities or offices of the Organization, in accordance with the provisions of the ICAO service code (Staff Regulations).
ICAO staff members are expected to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their status as international civil servants. In this connection, ICAO has incorporated the 2013 Standards of Conduct for the International Civil Service into the ICAO Personnel Instructions.
ICAO offers an attractive benefit package to its employees in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC).
The statutory retirement age for staff entering or re-entering service after 1 January 2014 is 65. For external applicants, only those who are expected to complete a term of appointment will normally be considered.
Remuneration: Level P-3 Rate Net Base Salary per annum + Post Adjustment (net) per annum(*)
USD 64,121 + USD 32,253
(*) Post Adjustment is subject to change.
In accordance with ICAO Staff Regulations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Due regard shall be paid to the importance of recruiting staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible and ensuring equal gender representation. Subject to the foregoing, selection of staff members shall be made without distinction as to race, sex or religion, nor shall there be any discrimination on account of any disability of a candidate who meets the qualifications required to perform the tasks. Unless otherwise permitted under the ICAO Staff Regulations, appointment and promotion of staff members shall be made on a competitive basis.
Candidates will not be considered for employment with ICAO if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the Inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in Inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised in Inspira will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
ICAO does NOT charge any fees or request money from candidates at any stage of the recruitment process, nor does it concern itself with bank account details of applicants. Requests of this nature allegedly made on behalf of ICAO are fraudulent and should be disregarded.