New Job Gas Serviceperson B In Ontario
|Gas Serviceperson B|
Gas Serviceperson B
Company : City of Kitchener
Salary : $31.87–$34.67 an hour
Location : Ontario
Gas Serviceperson B
July 25, 2023
August 3, 2023 (at 6:00pm)
The City of Kitchener is a vibrant and dynamic city of approximately 270,000, in the heart of southwestern Ontario. As the largest municipality in Waterloo Region, Kitchener continues to be poised for development and growth, enhancing its reputation as a leader in city-building and innovation, with nationally recognized strategies to build its neighbourhoods, its digital infrastructure, and its diverse economy.
The City of Kitchener is WHERE you want to work! Learn more about the top reasons to join us:
Why work at the City of Kitchener
The Gas Serviceperson will be supporting the rental water heater program as well as the distribution side of the gas utility. This work will mainly entail conducting maintenance work on water heaters, supporting the infraction program, setting new gas meters, and conducting final inspections as well as being on-call for odour and CO calls.
- Resolve problems encountered in servicing all types of natural gas appliances.
- Perform routine appliance checks, diagnosis of electrical circuit problems in gas equipment.
- Trace, interpret and correct internal wiring of gas equipment.
- Interpret government and manufacturer’s instructions of gas appliances.
- Inspect gas installations in accordance with B149 Code and City's guidelines.
- Initiate gas appliances.
- Issue non-compliance infractions on new and existing installations
- Install, replace, maintain gas meters and regulators.
- Service and maintain Kitchener Utilities rental water heaters.
- Respond to emergency calls including fire, gas odours, carbon monoxide, restoration of service.
- Assume on-call responsibilities, afternoon, and weekend shift work on a rotational basis.
- Perform assignments in other functional areas of the Utilities Division as required (Large Meter Group, Gas Meter Shop, etc.).
- With the successful completion of the Gas Utility Technician course (timing at the discretion of KU), the salary range will be increased.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of Grade 12 diploma.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum of 5 years' gas service experience.
- Valid minimum Gas Technician 2 certificate issued by TSSA. If a candidate possesses a valid G1 license, the renumeration will be higher.
- Valid MTO class "G" driver's license in good standing.
- Must have a demonstrated knowledge or experience with electronic gas detection devices.
- Must have a demonstrated knowledge or experience of present and past gas utilization B-149 codes.
- Must have a demonstrated knowledge or experience with an electrical multi-meter
- Must have proven experience working with manufacturers regarding technical issues related to applicable appliances.
- Must demonstrate well developed verbal, written and electronic communication skills.
- Must demonstrate a knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and general computer skills.
- Must be able to work on-call and shifts on a rotational basis.
- Must be able to respond to the site or Kitchener Operations Facility within 30 minutes for on-call purposes.
- Must have the ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
- Must be prepared to produce a satisfactory police record check at your own cost as a condition of employment.
- An understanding of the Z662 Code is an asset.
- Must be reliable with a good attitude and employment record.
The City of Kitchener is committed to an equity-driven, inclusive, accessible, and barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and to ensuring our workforce reflects the full diversity of the community we serve. We welcome applications from Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ persons, as well as other equity deserving groups.
We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at [email protected] , or 519-741-2200 ext. 7261 to make your needs known, so that we can support your full and equal participation throughout the hiring process.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants. Only candidates whose skills, experience and qualifications meet the requirements of the position will be contacted.
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy HUM-HIR- 110, "Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials":
"The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, General Managers , or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full -time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students."
Gas and Water Utilities
Number of Positions
Hours of Work
40 hours per week
Kitchener Operations Facility
$31.87 - $34.67 per hour