New Job Forester In Saskatchewan
Company : Government of Saskatchewan
Salary : $35.89–$44.98 an hour
Location : Saskatchewan
Are you a proactive, self-directed leader able to work successfully in a team environment?
Do you have a desire to foster a positive health and safety culture and increase your technical knowledge related to forestry?
The Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment has an exciting Forester opportunity in the Forest Service Branch, located in Prince Albert. The Ministry takes a team-based approach to protect Saskatchewan’s environment for the wellbeing of the province, its people, and its future. We use science-based solutions and environmental laws to help safeguard communities, protect our air, land, water, and habitat. We are committed to providing superior citizen and client satisfaction through workplace excellence, continuous improvement, and innovation.
As the Forester, you will:
- Work with a team of operations staff responsible for regulating forest industry operations and ensuring compliance on Crown Forest lands;
- Lead the review and approval of forest industry operating plans to authorize the harvest of forest products;
- Oversee compliance within the Hudson Bay Area including field investigations and responses;
- Lead public consultations of forest management with stakeholders, First Nations and Métis communities, agencies, media, and the public;
- Participate in the development of policy and provide forest policy direction and forest management expertise to other branches and government ministries, and support senior ministry staff on forest management and policy issues related to operations and operational planning; and
- Work with other resource management specialists to develop solutions aligned with the Ministry's ecosystem management principles.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated ability to guide, develop, and coach a diverse group of employees, that results in a team that can meet its goals and objectives and build organizational capacity for the future, while maintaining a healthy, productive, respectful, and safe work environment free of discrimination;
- Knowledge of principles related to ecosystem-based forest management and legislation related to the utilization and administration of forest resources;
- Knowledge of harvesting, road construction and decommissioning, water crossing installation and reclamation, and boreal forest silviculture;
- Knowledge of process and policy development, and the strategic planning process;
- Knowledge of compliance and enforcement theories including natural resource law principles; and
- Demonstrated ability to plan, facilitate and lead public consultation processes with a variety of stakeholders and First Nations and Métis communities, to develop and implement sustainable forest management strategies.
The successful candidate must be committed to workplace health and safety and willing to fulfill working conditions including:
- Fieldwork year-round and travel throughout Saskatchewan including remote locations and overnight stays away from home; and
- Operation of a 4-wheel drive pick-up truck and all-terrain vehicles in off road conditions while in full rain gear speckled with mud.
Typically, the competencies required for this position would be obtained through the completion of a degree in forestry, combined with forest industry or government forestry agency experience in forest operations including operational planning, harvesting, road construction and decommissioning, water crossing installation and reclamation, and boreal forest silviculture.
The successful candidate must possess a valid driver’s license and be eligible for registration as a Registered Professional Forester (RPF) with the Association of Saskatchewan Forestry Professional within three (3) years of commencement.
What we offer:
- Dynamic, challenging work for talented individuals;
- A competitive salary;
- Comprehensive benefits package including pension;
- Vacation, earned days off (EDO) and other types of leave (maternity/paternity/adoption, family/personal leave, sick leave);
- An inclusive work environment; and
- Professional development opportunities.
About Prince Albert:
The beautiful City of Prince Albert is situated on the North Saskatchewan River in Central Saskatchewan. The city rests on the south bank of the river, which divides the province's aspen parkland from the boreal forest on the north bank. These beautiful mixed-wood forests supply our variety of forestry industries while offering many recreational opportunities and species of wildlife.
Prince Albert and district has fun-filled activities for the entire family! Fishing, boating, hunting, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and hiking opportunities are plentiful with close proximity to provincial and national parks.