New Job Facility Maintainer (Ft) In Northwest Territories
|Facility Maintainer (FT)
Facility Maintainer (FT)
Company : Town of Hay River
Salary : $26.66–$34.86 an hour
Location : Northwest Territories
A. JOB SUMMARY:
Reporting to the Facilities and Parks Supervisor, the Facility Maintainer is responsible for operating and maintaining recreation and other municipal facilities and assets to ensure clean, safe, and healthy recreational facilities and areas are available for residents to enjoy. This position also works with staff from other Departments in coordinating maintenance and upkeep of municipal facilities/infrastructure.
B. DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains and secures Recreation and Community Services facilities and assets for the Town of Hay River. This includes but is not limited to:
- Reviews all machinery trends, adjust as necessary.
- Repairs mechanical systems as required.
- Monitors building maintenance requirements.
- Assists in maintenance of all Department of Recreation assets and other Town of Hay River assets/infrastructure as needed.
- Signs off on machinery as required by law.
- Records and catalogues maintenance activities.
- Identifies maintenance problems.
- Performs emergency repairs.
- Follows established preventive maintenance repairs.
- Performs ice-making and seasonal maintenance for the arena.
- Undertakes general custodial/janitorial work when required.
- Maintains electrical, plumbing, heating, and ventilation systems.
- Performs safety and security checks of facilities daily.
2. Ensures recreation areas and assets are in good working order for public use. This includes but is not limited to:
- Performs landscaping and grounds maintenance in the summer months.
- Assists in the installation of playground equipment.
- Develops and maintains play spaces and ball diamonds.
- Inspects and repairs playground equipment and playground areas.
3. Ensures and upholds a safety culture for the operation and maintenance of all recreation and other assets/infrastructure. This includes but is not limited to:
- Takes responsibility to model safe working practices.
- Works proactively to ensure users and clients use the facilities safely.
- Contributes to creating a culture of workplace safety with colleagues and others.
4. Performs other related duties as required.
C. KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a high school diploma plus two years of post-secondary education including trades apprenticeship or Recreation Facilities Operator training.
- Equivalencies will be considered.
Job Knowledge Requirements:
- Bbasic knowledge of preventative maintenance and operation of recreation facilities.
- An understanding of relevant policies, procedures and rules.
- Knowledge of ice making and maintenance procedures.
- Basic knowledge of maintenance of plumbing and heating systems including boiler inspection and repair.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures, safety requirements, including WHMIS, First Aid and CPR.
Technical Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency in the use of small hand tools and related equipment.
- Mechanical skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills.
D. POSITIONS SUPERVISED:
- This position does not supervise other than casual summer youths.
E. WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The Facility Maintainer can be a physically strenuous position.
- The incumbent will be expected to lift, carry and manage equipment and supplies.
- The incumbent may need to work long or odd hours at a time to complete special requests or projects, or to participate in supporting evening and off hour activities/events.
- The Facility Maintainer may work in a number of different facilities and outdoor locations.
- The incumbent may find the environments to be busy, noisy and will need stress management skills to manage in this context.
- The situations and programs taking place in facilities may be noisy and busy, making it difficult for recreation facilities staff to concentrate.
- Cleaning materials and other tools/resources required for maintenance may be irritating to the skin.
- Stress can be caused by the volume of work to be completed in often challenging and changing environments.
- Pressure to meet deadlines and provide quality service can place considerable mental fatigue on the incumbent.
F. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must have a satisfactory criminal record check.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license.