New Job Esl Instructor In Alberta
ESL Instructor (Evening Instructor)
Hours per week/FTE
About the Position
As a member of the English Language Centre (ELC), the English as a Second Language (ESL) instructor provides specialized instruction for the purposes of developing students’ ability to effectively perform courses of study in English and acquire the English Language. Reporting to the Manager, English Language Centre, ESL instructors work closely with their colleagues as well as administrative staff in the ELC.
- Develop and deliver lesson plans utilizing a broad range of appropriate techniques and strategies addressing all aspects of communication that develop each student’s ability to read, write, speak, and listen in content areas at all levels that ensure learners meet or exceed learning targets.
- Provide a nurturing, supportive and positive learning environment with high expectations that encourage student responsibility, enhance motivation, clearly communicate classroom routines, and incorporate challenging instructional strategies.
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity, interest and abilities of students, and provides both social and emotional support for English Language Learners.
- Prepare materials that fulfill the course objectives; planning lessons, assignments and educational outings that reflect the integrated skills nature of the curriculum, and giving on-going and final student evaluation.
- Use the PBLA method of instruction as outlined by IRCC
- Assist with student placement and registering students in each ESL course and complete reporting criteria as required. Assist with reassessing CLB levels throughout the semester. Implement PBLA standards in teaching according to the guidelines from the lead Instructor.
- Address student concerns in a timely, respectful manner according to program protocol with the goal of supporting student success.
- Respectfully and proactively engage students in the assessment process and deliver adequate assessments to satisfy PBLA and language level requirements.
- Work cooperatively in an interdependent team environment and participate in curriculum reviews, and curriculum development as needed.
- Maintain accurate and complete records as required by contract funder and College guidelines such as; final reports, attendance records, student evaluation and student achievement. Report such information as required.
- Participate in in-service and staff development activities to ensure current, relevant TESL theory and ESL teaching strategies and best practices are implemented. Attend staff meetings and established traditional school-sponsored activities.
- Comply with and adhere to applicable College and IRCC policies and procedures regarding such areas as student and program confidentiality.
- Above average computer ability required as well as online teaching experience.
- Experience with a learning management system such as Canvas preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a TESL/ATESL certification required.
- Minimum one year teaching experience in ESL / EFL at the adult level.
- PBLA Experience.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Experience in delivering an integrated skills curriculum.
Located on the traditional lands of the Blackfoot Confederacy, Lethbridge College is committed to honouring the land from a place of knowing. We honour the Siksikaitsitapi as both the traditional and current Land Keepers of this area, and we welcome all Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples who call Blackfoot territory their home to disclose as such when submitting applications.
Lethbridge College is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse environment for all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, and age.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
At Lethbridge College, we know we all benefit when the rich diversity of our campus community is fully represented, and all students and employees are included. We are committed to identifying and overcoming systemic barriers that impede individuals from underrepresented groups. We are ready to work together to ensure Lethbridge College is a place where all individuals feel valued for their unique perspectives, skills, and contributions and are afforded equal opportunities to participate in learning, research, and innovation.
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Lethbridge College is committed to inclusive recruitment practices by providing reasonable access and accommodations to applicants. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact [email protected]. Private information received in relation to the request will only be used to facilitate the recruitment process and will be kept confidential and shared only as needed with the selection committee.