New Job Admission Assistant In British Columbia
Company : University of Victoria
Salary : $4,544–$4,687 a month
Location : British Columbia
Student Affairs is committed to creating a vibrant and engaging learning community to inspire and enrich the lives of our students in support of the University of Victoria’s vision “to be a university of choice for outstanding students, faculty, and staff from BC, Canada, and around the world”. The Student Affairs portfolio includes: Office of the Registrar, Athletics and Recreation, Campus Services, Student Services.
In working to achieve this vision, the Office of the Registrar (OREG) places students at the centre of operations and supports students to achieve their academic and life goals. Individual connections with OREG team members and services, as well as interactions with on-line services, contribute to students’ growth in knowledge, independence and confidence. Registrarial services strive to directly support students’ success in their university studies, campus life and subsequent life pursuits. The range of services provided by the units within the OREG appear at every point in the student life cycle, beginning with recruitment and admissions, all the way through to convocation. Members of the OREG team strive to be consistent in their interpretation, communication and application of regulations, policies and procedures while being both professional and respectful of the diversity and complexity of needs across the university campus. The OREG interacts with staff, students, faculty, university and external community members in order to assist in the delivery of core services that cross operational and departmental boundaries (e.g., registration, class and exam scheduling). It is important that students and our university colleagues are well-informed and well-supported by the OREG and the services offered.
Reporting to an Admission Officer, the Admission Assistant is an important member of the Undergraduate Admissions team and often the first point of contact for applicants to the University of Victoria throughout the annual admission cycle. Each admission assistant collaborates with an admission officer to manage a specific portfolio of new, current and returning students to the university. Admission assistants also work within a mini-team that cross-trains and has shared responsibility to ensure that service standards are met for three different portfolios.
Responsibilities include preliminary review of applications; determining academic documentation and language proficiency requirement for each applicant; monitoring applicant documents and readiness for evaluation; determining and assigning transfer credit; converting provincial high curriculum and assigning prerquisite courses, authorizing returning students to register at UVic again; maintaining student record data in the student information system; as well as monitoring and responding to enquiries from applicants, parents, counsellors, agents and on-campus departments which require extensive knowledge of various complex policies and procedures.. Problem-solving, critical thinking, a strong service orientation, good judgment, tact, diplomacy and professionalism are all essential for success in this position.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills including MS Teams and particularly Excel; Sharepoint/Connect
- Demonstrated intermediate level of technical proficiency in working with computer systems, programs and data bases
- Ability to perform accurate basic mathematical calculations
- Ability to work independently and to take initiative to organize a very heavy and varied workload in order to meet competing critical deadlines.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, quality control and attention to detail skills.
- Ability to function in a highly demanding, multi-tasking environment.
- High degree of accuracy while managing high volumes of detailed, time-sensitive information.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to explain complex information such as admission requirements or other calendar regulations
- Ability to maintain confidential, highly-sensitive and private information.
- Team-oriented and student-centred, with a genuine interest in providing an outstanding applicant experience
- Culturally sensitive with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- High school graduation; one or more years of post-secondary education preferred.
- Working experience with a complex student information system and other reporting systems such as Banner, FAST, AIRS, ING, TCS (Transfer Credit Sytem), and BCM (or other CRM product).
- Knowledge and understanding of postsecondary websites and academic calendars including admission requirements and other academic policies/regulations.
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to supporting UVic's strategic enrollment goals regarding student recruitment and retention.
- Understanding of the Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy (FOIP) as it relates to student records, as well as the ethical and confidentiality guidelines of the institution.
- 3 or more years working in an administrative or clerical position in a high-volume, customer-oriented organization, including experience with large and complex databases such as financial, customer accounts or student records systems.
- Experience working in a large, highly-collaborative, goal-oriented team.
- Experience gained in a post-secondary (preferably a registrar’s/admission office) is preferred.
We acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands and the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.
Equity and Diversity Statement
UVic is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. In pursuit of our values, we seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across levels of power. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity.
Read our full equity statement here: www.uvic.ca/equitystatement.
If you anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process contact: [email protected] Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.