New Job Supervisor Maint Contract Inspections In Ontario
|SUPERVISOR MAINT CONTRACT INSPECTIONS|
SUPERVISOR MAINT CONTRACT INSPECTIONS
Company : City of Toronto
Salary : $93,500–$119,274 a year
Location : Ontario
Job ID: 38874
Job Category: Operations & Maintenance
Division & Section: Transportation Services, Operations Maintenance
Work Location: Various locations, please see below
Job Type & Duration: 1 Permanent, 1 Temporary (12 month) vacancies
Salary: $93,500.00 - $119,274.00
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week
Number of Positions Open: 2
Posting Period: 19-Jun-2023 to 04-Jul-2023
Permanent Full-time position: 8270 Sheppard Ave E
Temporary position: 433 Eastern Ave
Major responsibilities include:
- Supervises staff in the delivery of the assigned program and is accountable for the operations of the unit, sets organizational performance, quality standards and expectations ensuring that assigned program/projects conform with set standards.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, hears grievances in accordance with the collective agreement and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Prepares summer and winter contracts including estimating, monitoring contract budgets and specifications compliance and quality assurance.
- Supervises the provision of construction inspection services including direct inspection of City construction contracts and schedules inspection staff as required.
- Supervises and overseas the inspection of 3rd party and external service providers' construction activities.
- Reviews and approves all payments to contractors including negotiations of extra work, change orders and claims. Ensures that the work completed by contractors is measured accurately for payments.
- Ensures that productivity and performance issues are observed and monitored with continuous effort towards improvement.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills to effectively and professionally communicate/interface with staff, public, elected officials, contractors and utility companies to resolve staff, contractor and public disputes in a fair and equitable manner.
- Conducts Pre-construction meetings, Progress Review meetings and other meetings as assigned by the Senior Engineer, Maintains proper contract records and documentation for all summer and winter contracts and follows the protocols outlined in the City's Contract Inspection Manual and audit requirements.
- Ensures that all summer maintenance repair, but not limited to, permanent utility cut repair, Expressway/Highway resurfacing, bridge maintenance & repair, sidewalk and curb, catch basin adjustment, ditches & culverts, patching, emergencies, crack sealing, material testing contracts and winter salting, ploughing and snow removal contracts are completed in a timely manner.
- Provides front-line customer service by investigating and responding directly to the concerns of residents, other departments and divisions, outside agencies and city councillors.
- Provides timely, accurate investigations and documentation regarding legal proceedings, claims, discoveries and audits.
- Ensures the implementation and administration of Toronto Maintenance Management System (TMMS), Maximo, Road Allowance Control System (RACS) and GPS to monitor productivity and performance as well as project tracking and management system for capital programs.
- Acts as the Contract Administrator in the absence of the Senior Engineer.
- Attends various committees, meetings and reports to the manager accordingly
- Monitors all contracts for sufficient material testing and ensures that testing meets audit requirements.
- Ensures Contractors are following constructions specifications and standards, health & safety requirements and other statutes and regulations that applies.
- Prepares forms, worksheets, and reports for the performance of contracts, including new initiatives, protocols or existing procedures.
- Organizes and attends meetings with contractors and other external service provides (e.g. utilities) prior to their start up to ensure all proper documentation is in place as per corporation policies including updates, as required.
- Organizes preconstruction and progress meetings for the contracts. Prepares agendas, documentation and minutes.
- Manages the investigation of claims and represents the Divisions/Department at legal hearings, court and or tribunal proceedings.
- Performs site inspections and assessments of changed conditions on construction projects as required.
- Ensures the proper maintenance of all required operating records and centralized files.
- Prepares reports on new initiatives, protocols or existing procedures as directed by Manager, records and maintains shared files at centralized location.
- Ensures prompt responses to emergencies and seasonal conditions such as snowstorms by working overtime and through an on-call-as-needed commitment throughout the year and deals with conflict resolution for contract management.
- Prepares Contractors Performance Evaluation, both mid and final reports for all contracts.
- Supervises work carried out after normal work hours, during shifts, on weekends and in inclement weather.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Civil Engineering/Civil Engineering Technologist/Technician and/or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive experience managing and administering contracts, as well as conducting inspections of engineering materials and methods of construction.
- Considerable experience in the principles of winter maintenance and its various applications as it relates to municipal service delivery.
- Considerable experience in construction and other municipal services including the management of project expenditures, tracking of quantities.
- Considerable experience leading, planning and providing work direction for technical and administrative staff, contractors and consultants in a unionized and/or non-union environment.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario class "G" driver's licence and be eligible to qualify for a City driver's permit including the ability to drive during various inclement weather conditions.
- Customer service, conflict management and interpersonal skills to resolve issues and customer service complaints from staff, members of the public, contractors and external agencies including utility companies.
- Proficient computer skills to utilize a variety of software including Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Outlook) with the ability to use SAP, TMMS (Toronto Maintenance Management System) and RACS (Road Allowance Control System and or other municipal maintenance management or budget systems would be an asset.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, codes, collective agreements and policies including City of Toronto Standards and Specifications for road works, Ontario Provincial Standards and Specifications (OPSS), the Construction Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Employee Standards Act and other applicable legislation.
- Well-developed communication skills to effectively communicate/interface with a variety of stakeholders as well as prepare briefing notes and contract documentation.
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings, specifications and reports.
- Ability to work beyond normal business hours, on standby, nights and weekends including various shifts and drive in inclement weather conditions.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.