New Job Student Field Technician In Ontario
|Student Field Technician|
Student Field Technician
Company : City of Barrie
Salary : $17.52–$23.82 an hour
Location : Ontario
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2023
Job Number: COOP -23-24
Job Type: Co-op, Temporary Full-time, Up to 4 Months, Union
Position Closing Date: Monday, July 3, 2023
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive, and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands, and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common - municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging, and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
The Waste Management and Environmental Sustainability Branch is part of the Infrastructure and Growth Management Division. This branch develops, monitors, and manages processes that minimize divisional business risk; this includes process development, improvement, data management and benchmarking. They also strive to minimize environmental risk associated with growth and corporate infrastructure, including Source Water Protection, Climate Change Strategy, Sustainable Development Strategy, Contaminated site response, Sewer use by-law, Spill response, Ground water and surface water monitoring and investigations, and Site plan reviews. They also develop and minimize strategies that promote circular economy and environmental sustainability, which includes waste diversion programs, sustainable waste management strategy, public outreach, and education.
Under the general guidance and direction of Supervisor of Environmental Compliance, the Student Field Technician position is responsible for supporting the Senior Environmental Officers, Environmental Officers and Environmental Field Technician, with inspection and sampling duties.
The successful applicant to this position will perform and/or assist with the following tasks:
- Performing data collection, sampling, and reporting duties to ensure compliance with Certificates of Approvals, Environmental Compliance Approvals, Permits to Take Water, and applicable Municipal By-laws such as the Sewer Use and Site Alteration By-laws
- Collecting surface water samples as part of the City of Barrie’s Surface Water Quality Monitoring Program
- Supporting the monitoring, inspection, and sampling of storm sewers and sanitary sewers in the City of Barrie
- Conducting inspections in the Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) Sector
- Conducting investigations and evaluations of discharges into the natural environment, including the containment of spills
- Operating, maintaining, and calibrating various types of sampling equipment
- Maintaining stock levels in vehicles and storage bay
- Related administrative duties such as data input, scanning and filing
- Other related duties, as required
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- Currently enrolled in or is a student in a recognized College or University*
- Enrolled in a a recognized College or University Co-op program
- Standard First Aid Certification
- Minimum of 16 years of age or turning 16 by the end of the calendar year and must have attended one of the academic establishments listed above the year in which they are applying for employment and/or returning the following year
- Demonstrated field sampling experience
- Demonstrated ability to regularly exert physical effort to lift, push, pull and/or carry objects exceeding 10 kg
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the physical duties of the position which include climbing stairs and walking over rough terrain and wading in creeks
- Basic computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Intermediate oral and written communication skills
- General knowledge of environmental field sampling techniques
- General knowledge of current environmental industry legislation, regulations and best practices including the following:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act and associated regulations
- Environmental Protection Act and associated regulations
- Clean Water Act
- Provincial Water Quality Objectives
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's License in good standing
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check*
- Please note that this is a requirement for any new employees to the City of Barrie in accordance with the Police Record Check Procedure. Existing employees will be grandparented from this requirement.
Other Important Information
Work Term: September - December 2023 (4 Months)
Wage: $17.52 to $23.82 per hour
Hours: The normal hours of work are 35 hours per week in accordance with the Collective Agreement
Location: Environmental Center, 272 Ferndale Drive North, Barrie
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require Code-protected accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.