New Job Qualifications Assessor In Alberta
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $4,086–$5,023 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 45034
Ministry: Advanced Education
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: July 10, 2023
Classification: Administrative Support 6
Responsible for an adult learning system that provides accessible, affordable and high quality education for Albertans, the Ministry prepares Albertans for lifelong success through education by approving programs of study; funding public post-secondary institutions and other adult learning providers; providing financial aid for learners; registering and certifying apprentices; and supporting academic research and innovation.
Our programs and services are driven by 3 outcomes: Adult learning opportunities are accessible and affordable for all Albertans; High-quality education, skills development and research make a positive contribution to Alberta’s economy, society, culture and environment; and the adult learning system is accountable and coordinated.
The Ministry of Advanced Education has an exciting opportunity and is looking for a Qualifications Assessor to join our team!
The Qualification Assessor works as part of a team responsible for the assessment and verification of work experience and credentials of applicants. This involves researching and contacting companies and determining if the experience complies with requirements outlined in legislation. Reporting to the Senior Technical Trades Advisor, the Assessor will assist with preparing communications for applicants regarding work experience information as required.
In your role as a Qualifications Assessor, you will be responsible to:
- Review applications for completeness, following up with applicant to provide additional information.
- Submit your recommendations to the Senior Technical Trades Advisor or the Technical Trades Advisor and enter the recommendations onto AIT information system.
- Speak with employer representatives who can confirm the type of work completed, and the duration of employment and other employment information of the applicant.
- Assess applications, document assessment and make recommendations using established assessment processes and procedures.
- Consult with other Canadian apprenticeship offices regarding apprenticeship matters relating to training and certification.
- Research standards and practices in other jurisdictions and identify opportunities to improve work experience verification processes in line with program standards.
- Maintain contacts with unions, government agencies, associations, organizations, industry and employers.
- Work with the Program Compliance & Investigations unit in the review and/or investigation of any suspected fraudulent activity in an application process.
- Able to work on a flexible schedule.
High school diploma and four years of related experience.
Equivalency: Directly related experience or education considered on the basis of:
One year of experience for one year of education or one year of education for one year of experience.
- Experience in assessing and confirmation of validating work experience.
- Various language skills is an asset.
- Trade certification is an asset.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Products such as Word and Excel, as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro and PowerPoint.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Effective communications skills to work effectively with colleagues and with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong ability to provide clear/concise written reports, briefings, letters, action requests, etc.
- Organization and prioritization skills to balance multiple assessments at one time and able to meet tight timelines.
- Able to work various shifts as per operational needs.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
In this role, you will contribute to our team by demonstrating the following behavioral competencies:
- Agility - Sees the need and readily steps in to help others on the team; anticipates change and adapts behaviour accordingly, is nimble and open to changes; takes advantage of opportunities to improve program development and implementation
- Build Collaborative Environments – Build relationship with stakeholders to share information; respects others' point-of-view, have conflict resolution skills, and be a reliable resource for applicants and stakeholders. Lead and contributes to the conditions
and environments that allow people to work collaboratively and productivity to achieve outcomes.
- Creative Problem Solving - Seeks and suggests new ideas and approaches to proactively identify and address risks to mitigate their escalation; breaks problems down to facilitate the creation of solutions; shares learnings with others.
- Develop Networks - Builds relationships by following through on commitments, demonstrating integrity and respect for others; informs key stakeholders of relevant information in a timely manner; seeks and applies the perspectives and needs of
colleagues, and stakeholders.
- Systems Thinking - Considers inter-relationships among initiatives and relation to department priority and expected outcomes; considers implications of different options when making decisions; thinks broadly about programs to consider how changes
will be integrated and transitioned into existing operations.
$2,042.85 to $2,511.73 Bi-weekly: ($53,318 - $65,556/year)
This is a permanent, full-time position working 36.25 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
This position is based in Edmonton. We require you to attach a Cover Letter with your application explaining your qualification and suitability for this role.
In your resume, please include dates (including months and years) associated with all education and work experience. Also, please indicate whether your work experience is casual, part time or full time.
Any costs associated with obtaining the required documents/checks as noted or interview travel expenses, will be the responsibility of the candidate. Out-of-province applicants can obtain the required documents/checks from the province they currently reside in.
Top candidates will be required to undergo security screening.
Links and information on what the GoA has to offer to prospective employees.
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plans:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Michelle Elliott at [email protected].
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check