New Job Park Attendant In British Columbia
Company : District of West Vancouver
Salary : $27.45 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community.
Are you passionate about plants and gardening? Do you want to work with others that share your passion? The West Vancouver Parks Department is accepting applications for temporary full-time Park Attendants focusing on supporting the District’s Horticulture team and performing a variety of park maintenance tasks. The primary duties in this position will be to assist with horticultural tasks including: weeding, planting, and pruning.
The work for this position is considered manual work, requiring effort and stamina. The successful candidate may also be required to assist staff with: grass mowing; weed whacking; garbage pick-up; park construction; sign and trails maintenance; maintaining playgrounds; cemetery duties; and other related duties as operationally required.
Applicants must have:
· A strong background in Horticulture and interest in progressing in this field
· General knowledge concerning safe use of landscape and garden maintenance equipment
· Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to permit the performance of manual outdoor work in all types of weather
· An ability to exercise excellent customer service skills when interacting with park users and the general public
· An ability to build and maintain positive and effective working relationships with the public and staff
· An aptitude/interest in Parks operations; and,
· Possession of a valid Class 5 Driver’s License for the Province of BC.
During the assessment process, successful candidates will be asked to submit a Driver’s Abstract from ICBC. These positions are expected to be required late spring into the early fall. Candidates must be available for the duration of this period. The length of these assignments will be dependent upon operational requirements.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on Westnet.
Union (WVMEA) – Temporary, Full-time
40 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Starting Rate of Pay:
$27.45 per hour + 12% in lieu of benefits
This position has a pay structure with three steps increase after certain hours.
11:59 p.m. on Friday, June 23, 2023