New Job Environment Officer (Inspector Specialist 3) In Nova Scotia
|Environment Officer (Inspector Specialist 3)|
Environment Officer (Inspector Specialist 3)
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $5,339–$6,202 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Environment and Climate Change
Type of Employment: Term
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 6/30/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
Nova Scotia Environment’s role is to protect the environment, human health and animal health through regulatory excellence, conservation, partnership and promotion. To achieve this, we strive to develop legislation, regulations and policies, process notifications, applications, and approvals for regulated activities based on sound scientific knowledge and expertise.
Our goal is to educate, inspect and enforce to ensure compliance with legislation and regulations. We also proactively respond to environmental, conservation, animal, and human health risks and work to develop programs and deliver services to enhance protection in these areas.
About Our Opportunity
As an Inspector Specialist with the Inspection, Compliance, and Enforcement Division you will work to protect and promote the sustainable use of our air, land, and water resources within Nova Scotia. You will work in a fast-paced and changing environment while being responsible for enforcing regulations and responding to complaints relating to the protection of the environment and public health.
On a typical day, you can expect to:
- Conduct inspections and audits of facilities to enforce regulations and compliance with approvals;
- Respond to environmental emergencies during and after normal working hours;
- Conduct investigations of complaints and gather detailed information for reports;
- Testify and gather evidence for court appearances;
- Promote compliance by holding educational sessions in the community;
- Write letters, reports and prepare ministerial briefings;
- Explain technical concepts to a wide variety of audiences;
- Write terms and conditions for approvals; and
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
To be successful within this role, you will have completed related trade or technical training in the specialty area (environmental technology, environmental studies, environmental engineering, and/or environmental health) as well as possess 7 years of related experience after course completion or an acceptable equivalent. Related experience and/or training in several of the core areas will be required which includes well construction; water treatment; water quality; waste water treatment; on-site sewage disposal systems; contaminated sites; watercourse and wetlands; air emissions; industrial activities; pesticides; solid waste; compliance; inspection and enforcement.
As the successful candidate you will also:
- Be proficient in computer applications and report writing;
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills;
- Have the ability to plan and demonstrate strong organizational skills;
- Be able to interpret and explain legislation and technical matters;
- Demonstrate the ability to solve complex issues and make decisions;
- Be self-motivated and versatile in the work environment;
- Work well independently as well as in a team environment; and,
- Manage difficult or confrontational situations in a calm and efficient manner.
We will assess the above qualifications using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
- Must be eligible for Special Constable Status, which requires a criminal record check.
- Must have a valid drivers licence and access to a reliable motor vehicle.
- This position requires the wearing of identifiable clothing.
This is expected to be a term employment opportunity with an end date of June 27, 2025; however, the status upon hire (term, temporary, or casual) is dependent on the start date of the successful candidate.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless career paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: TE 27
Salary Range: $2,669.67 - $3,100.80 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].