New Job Coordinator, Operational Accounting (Financial Services Officer 3)) In Nova Scotia
|Coordinator, Operational Accounting (Financial Services Officer 3))|
Coordinator, Operational Accounting (Financial Services Officer 3))
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $4,716–$5,555 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 6/30/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
At Service Nova Scotia, we impact every citizen, business, and municipality in Nova Scotia. Our mandate is to design and deliver programs and services to meet the needs of our clients and the public good through a culture of excellence. Service Nova Scotia's vision is to be a recognized leader in service and public protection that delivers trusted, accessible, modern programs, and contributes to Nova Scotia as a safe and desirable place to live, work and do business.
To learn more about our department, please click here.
About Our Opportunity
As the Coordinator, you will specialize in government wide daily, month end and year end business processes, provide critical support in financial systems troubleshooting, system testing, completes analysis and provides solutions to a wide variety of financial challenges and electronic interfaces. In this role, you will use knowledge of Government policies, procedures, and business processes to ensure the accurate and consistent completion of data processing and reporting functions using the Province’s Corporate Financial Management System (SAP). You will ensure financial information processing and reporting processes are accurate and timely while adhering to Generally Acceptable Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAB); as well as ensuring that service standards are monitored and achieved. As part of a team-based environment, you will provide support to the other team members of Operational Accounting and participate in teams assigned to special projects.
A few of your key responsibilities will include:
- Analyzing, monitoring work of operational accounting team members.
- Reviewing government wide daily, monthly and year end reconciliation processes while adhering to GAAP and Public Sector Accounting Standards.
- Management of shared service transactional business processes, ensuring they align with the strategic business plans of the department.
- Providing advise on correct policies and business processes concerning area of operational accounting assigned from time to time.
- Monitor internal controls in place and ensure compliance.
- Contribute to continuous monitoring and improvement of the processes.
- Conducting research, analysis, and production of miscellaneous reports in response to department inquiries, audit queries and special projects.
- Managing human resources through recruitment, performance, attendance, and retention.
- Developing a high-performance team using measurable performance indicators to meet service delivery standards.
- Providing ad hoc financial analysis and reporting of activities to ensure information is accurate, current, and consistently reported government wide.
Qualifications and Experience
This may be the right opportunity for you if you have 3 years post-secondary professional accounting training with six years of related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Related experience must be in financial administration with focus on reconciliations, reporting, financial analysis and dealing with large data with at least 4 years in supervisory capacity.
A post-secondary Accounting/Finance degree, Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or actively working towards a professional accounting designation will be considered an asset. Knowledge and experience of the SAP/SAP S4 Hana will also be considered an asset.
You will have proven supervisory skills to coach, mentor, develop staff and evaluate performance. Experience in the interpretation and application of policies, procedures and business processes in a large, dynamic, and complex organization is essential. You also demonstrate having knowledge/skill/capability in various aspects of Microsoft Excel.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offering and eligibility criteria.
Most of your time is spent in a comfortable office setting. Your normal work week is 35 hours/week, 7 hours/day.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: TE 24
Salary Range: $2,358.22 - $2,777.49 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].