New Job Accounting Clerk In Northwest Territories
Company : Government of the Northwest Territories
Salary : $71,000–$85,000 a year
Location : Northwest Territories
The Department of Finance has the mandate to provide leadership and direction to the public service in all areas of finance and human resource management. This mandate includes negotiating major financial arrangements with the federal government, providing analysis and advice to the Financial Management Board, and ensuring that financial and information resources are managed effectively, efficiently and economically. This mandate also includes the recruitment and retention of a competent public service that is representative of the people it serves and the development of programs and services that effectively serve the human resource needs of the public service.
Located in Inuvik and reporting to a Senior Finance Officer, the Accounting Clerk provides financial transaction processing support for all GNWT Departments, NWTHC, Boards, Agencies and Authorities; as well as administrative support to the Division. This role provides a range of services including the preparation, verification of payroll, employee benefits and financial functions Accounting Officers are expected to work in teams across the GNWT to ensure all work items are processed in a timely and accurate fashion.
GNWT Financial and Employee Shared Services is responsible for providing a range of financial services for all Departments of the GNWT, the NWTHC, Boards, Agencies and Authorities and includes operational offices in Yellowknife, Fort Smith, Hay River, Fort Simpson, Norman Wells and Inuvik Under the shared services model, these responsibilities must be fulfilled for each respective client with often competing priorities, timelines and workload demands. This position is one of several Accounting Clerks who share these responsibilities across the Northwest Territories. The position receives mentoring and assistance from Senior Accounting Clerks within its team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic knowledge of employee benefits and general financial statement information is required;
- Ability to effectively enter employee benefits and payroll data into the HRIS (People Soft) ERP
- Ability to understand interpret and apply rules and regulations of legislation, employment agreements, manuals and other payroll principles
- Ability to collect, review, understand and effectively address complaints concerning earnings, benefit coverages and deductions for various employee types
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize time effectively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with people in an effective, positive and tactful manner.
- Proficient in the use of desktop software applications
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
Grade 12 and 1 year of related coursework, with 2 years of related experience; OR 5 years' related experience, preferably in a public service environment.
Inuvik HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
1st FLOOR ALEX MOSES GREENLAND BUILDING
INUVIK, NT X0E 0T0
Tel (867) 678-8071 Ext 15644
Fax (867) 678-6620
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.