New Job 23 T016C -Chief Zzeh Gittlit School - 1.0Fte - Permanent Math/Science High School Teacher In Yukon
|23 T016C -CHIEF ZZEH GITTLIT SCHOOL - 1.0FTE - Permanent Math/Science High School Teacher|
23 T016C -CHIEF ZZEH GITTLIT SCHOOL - 1.0FTE - Permanent Math/Science High School Teacher
Company : Yukon Education
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
This is an until–filled competition. Candidates are encouraged not to delay submitting their application as this posting can close at any time. Resumes will be screened at regular intervals until the position is filled or the competition closes, whichever is earliest.
Chief Zzeh Gittlit School respectfully acknowledges that it is located within the traditional territory of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation.
Chief Zzeh Gittlit School (CZGS) is located in the community of Old Crow, Yukon Territory. Old Crow is a remote, fly-in community in northern Yukon, 112 kilometers north of the Arctic Circle. Approximately 245 people live in Old Crow. Gwich’in is the traditional language of the Vuntut Gwitchin people.
Chief Zzeh Gittlit School is a K-12 school with approximately 40 students. CZGS is one of 11 Yukon schools that have joined the newly established First Nation School Board (FNSB) in the Yukon. We are actively seeking committed and qualified educators who are dedicated to living in and being an active member of the community and who can adapt well to a remote lifestyle. Our educational professionals value authentic relationships and are committed to working with students, community, administration and the FNSB to make positive, progressive changes to education outcomes for learners of Old Crow. For more information, please visit the Chief Zzeh Gittlit School website and the First Nation School Board website.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Please clearly demonstrate on your cover letter and resume how you meet the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor of Education or equivalent with a teachable in Math and Science;
- Demonstrated experience incorporating outdoor-experiential/land-based learning in teaching practice;
- Experience working with Indigenous learners in a culturally diverse community is an asset.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND SUITABILITY:
Eagerness to learn about and integrate Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation culture & worldview, and the Gwich’in language, in the classroom;
- Keenness to live, work, and participate as an active member of the Old Crow community;
- Ability to work collaboratively and maintain an authentic relationship with the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation government, community Elders, and families, promoting greater community involvement in school-based activities and educational programming;
- Strong classroom management, planning and organizational skills, with the ability to motivate learners;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, deliver and analyze in the integration of project-based learning to support curriculum outcomes;
- Strong understanding and experience with implementing land-based curriculum;
- Solid understanding of a philosophy of inclusive education, excellent interpersonal, communication and collaborative skills working with parents, staff members, coaches, the First Nation School Board and other partners;
- Demonstrated ability to implement restorative practice and developmentally responsive approaches;
- Demonstrated ability to develop, support and implement Student Learning Plans, Behaviour Plans, Safety Plans and Individual Education Plans;
- Knowledge of, and the ability to implement
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with parents and caregivers, establishing cooperative and authentic connections to support the best school experience possible;
- Desire and passion for developing and maintaining strong and respectful relationships and trust with students, their families, and the community as a whole
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
- To be a Teacher in Yukon, you must hold a Teacher Certification in another Canadian province/territory first;
- Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Relocation may be available.
- In communities outside of Whitehorse, there may be affordable, though modest rental accommodation (sometimes shared) provided by Yukon Housing Corporation. Private accommodation is limited. If not available, candidates will need to find their own private accommodation, with assistance where possible from the First Nation School Board. For more information on rural communities in the Yukon, visit: www.travelyukon.com