New Job Youth Worker | Rights Of Passage In British Columbia
|Youth Worker | Rights of Passage|
Youth Worker | Rights of Passage
Company : Covenant House Vancouver
Salary : $23.23–$29.03 an hour
Location : British Columbia
In order to be hired at Covenant House Vancouver as an employee, practicum student, or volunteer, candidates must provide evidence of full courses of Health-Canada approved vaccinations prior to starting their first shift.
About Covenant House Vancouver
Since 1997, Covenant House Vancouver has provided relentless support for youth experiencing, or at-risk of experiencing, homelessness. We provide support to young people age 16 to 24 who have experienced a wide range of early life and ongoing, complex trauma; including physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect. Our purpose is to serve all youth, with absolute respect and unconditional love, to help youth experiencing homelessness, and provide a safe and supportive environment for all youth in need.
The Impact A Youth Worker In The Rights Of Passage Program Can Make:
Your primary role as a youth worker is to provide youth with safe, affordable housing and support while they transition to independent living. Working in the Right’s of Passage Program, you will offer support to youth residing in their private apartments. You will support youth with life skills, support them to maintain employment and/or develop an education plan. You will also celebrate the youth with their achievements!
How You Will Contribute:
- Greet and welcome youth accessing CHV services, assess and respond to their immediate needs, and provide them with practical resources including food, clothing, transportation
- Initiate, develop and maintain relationships with at risk youth 16-24 years of age
- Upon entry to the Program, introduce the services provided, orient new youth, complete program intake/admission
- Work collaboratively with other staff to assist youth in identifying attainable short and long-term goals, strategies for meeting these goals, and an action plan for implementation
- Assist youth with accessing external community supports and accompany them if needed
- Support youth with Life Skills, including cooking, money management, self-care and goal setting
- Respond to any emergencies or potential behavioral, mental health, emotional, or substance use concerns using trauma-informed practice
- Manage youth case files, including all relevant reporting and documentation
- Attend all training as directed by your manager
- Clean, search, and remake resident rooms at discharge
- Laundry as needed
- Front Desk and reception duties as required
- Other duties as required
Who We Are Looking For?
Education and Experience:
- Diploma or degree related to social service
- Experience in a similar role
- First Aid & Non-Violent Crisis Intervention is an asset
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Familiar with the challenges facing youth who are experiencing homelessness or housing instability
- Familiarity with substance misuse
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries with the Youth
- Basic computer skills
Why Work For Us? Would You Like To …
- Be part of a team that makes a difference in the lives of youth in need
- Work with a multidisciplinary team of youth workers, social workers, clinical counsellors, mentorship and life skills coordinators, outreach, and housing workers
- Work safely with low youth to staff ratio
- Have generous Health & Dental Benefits, including a health spending account, substantial counselling benefits ($4,000 per year to ensure you are looking after you!), employee assistance program, excellent vacation (starting at 15 days per year!), personal and sick leave
- Access ongoing training and development to improve both professional and personal growth
- Attend an array of exciting team bonding exercises throughout the year
- An inclusive team that welcomes innovative ideas and creativity
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Covenant House Vancouver is a secular organization that welcomes and serves young people from all backgrounds. While the international federation to which we belong was founded in the 1970s by members of the Catholic Church, we are not aligned with any specific faith traditions.
CHV is committed to upholding diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- Persons from groups marginalized due to race, ancestry, colour, religion/spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- Persons with visible (physical) and/or invisible (mental) disabilities;
- Persons who identify as women;
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions; and
- Indigenous persons.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, diversity, equity, and inclusion can be complex. We value the contributions that each person brings and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all at Covenant House Vancouver.
We love what we do and try to make a difference every day. Covenant House Vancouver offers a competitive salary with a great benefits package and excellent opportunity for training and career advancement. If you are looking to join a place where we have a purpose and aim to achieve positive outcomes, please join us by applying.
The starting range for this position is $23.23 to $29.03
If our recruitment process does not work for you, let us know. Let’s see how we can work together to get to know you and see what might be a great fit!