New Job Vehicle Mechanic In Ontario
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Ontario
Job Requisition Id: 168670
Business Function: Fleet Operations
Primary City: LONDON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Status: Term
Language Requirement: English Essential
Number of Vacancies: 1
Closing Date: May 16, 2023
All qualified candidates will be considered however preference will be given to Indigenous people (First Nations, Metis or Inuit) or persons with a disability. This is a special measure employment equity initiative and candidates from this group who wish to qualify for preferential consideration must self-identify.
Under general supervision, performs systematic inspections, overhauls of component parts, performs preventive maintenance routines and other related duties on light or heavy vehicle to determine the cause of failure, analyses and recommends the course of repair required, verifies the adequacy of completed repair work and certifies vehicles as road worthy. Verifies work done by contractors and certifies that repairs that have been performed are safe, road worthy, reliable and within specifications recommended by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM), provincial legislation or Canada Post requirements.
Below are the main job requirements and responsibilities for the Vehicle Mechanic.
1. Performs maintenance and repairs on light or heavy vehicles (as per certification).
2. Conducts other maintenance facility activities such as: parts ordering, receiving, stocking and shipping; taking calls and noting actions required.
3. Inspects light or heavy vehicles within Canada Post fleet and completes the necessary documentation accordingly within Canada Post and Government frequency of inspections (Municipal, Provincial, and Federal).
4. Completes quality control inspections by examining and testing repaired vehicles (light or heavy) to ensure repairs have been satisfactorily completed, according to Provincial and Canada Post specifications and certifying road worthiness before releasing back to Operations.
5. Performs in shop or on road repairs on light or heavy vehicles as directed by the maintenance Supervisor/Mechanic Lead Hand within original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and/or Canada Post specifications.
6. Maintains hand tools and shop equipment to a safe and reliable standard.
Job Responsibilities (continued)
7. Escalates any problems by completing the appropriate reports.
8. Provides input and support as required to front line operations on operating requirements, vehicles and driver habits.
9. Adheres to all Health and Safety and Environment policies and procedures by keeping the work area clean and free of hazards in support of a safe and healthy work place.
10. Replaces or overhauls defective parts with new components using mechanic hand tools, power tools and related automotive shop equipment.
11. Moves light or heavy vehicles and performs other related duties as required.
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent (as per provincial requirements).
- Graduate of technical/apprenticeship program for Automotive Service Technician (light vehicles under 4,500kg) OR Truck and Coach Technician (heavy equipment / vehicles over 4,500kg) accrediting qualification in one of these classes of vehicles.
- Must hold appropriate valid certification for the maintenance and repair of light OR heavy vehicles recognized in the province of employment.
- Must be currently in the trade.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a physically demanding environment.
Other Candidate Requirements
- Valid provincial driver license, with driver abstract which meets current corporate requirements.
- Appropriate license to operate heavy vehicles, if required in the province of employment.
Safety Sensitive Positions
This position may be considered a Safety Sensitive position.
Canada Post will represent Canada’s diversity and provide a safe and welcoming workplace that embraces and celebrates our differences. We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from women, Indigenous People, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
Disability is defined as a persistent or episodic physical, sensory, or mental health condition and/or functional limitation. Disability includes both visible and hidden conditions and/or limitations that may impact vision, hearing, mobility, flexibility, dexterity, pain, learning, developmental, mental/psychological, and memory.
Conflict of Interest
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.
Canada Post is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you have any restrictions that need to be accommodated. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience. We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
We value diversity as an essential part of who we are as a company, how we operate and how we see our future. We believe that attracting, developing, and retaining people who reflect the diversity of Canada is essential to our success because this matters to all communities and customers we serve.
Canada Post’s corporate values reflect the principles, beliefs and aspirations that guide our behaviour and shape our culture.
Safety – We are committed to a safe and healthy environment for all our stakeholders.
Customer – We serve Canadians with pride and passion.
Respect – We treat each other with fairness and respect.
Integrity – We act responsibly and with integrity.
Transformation – We will innovate and transform to win in the marketplace.