New Job Utility Mechanical Person In Yukon
|Utility Mechanical Person|
Utility Mechanical Person
Company : City of Whitehorse
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
Job posting closes: May 30, 2023 at 05:00 p.m. Yukon Standard Time
An Eligibility List may be established from this job posting – The duration of the eligibility list will be 6 months. Future vacancies will be filled by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires. The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
Utility Mechanical Person
Department: Water & Waste
The incumbent supplies mechanical maintenance services to the water, sanitary and storm facilities, well houses and recirculation stations and other departments as directed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitors, maintains, inspects, and repairs mechanical systems at the water, sanitary and storm facilities.
- Follows, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
- Monitors, maintains, inspects, and repairs hydraulic and pneumatic pressure control systems used in water, sanitary and storm facilities.
- Participates in and assists with the on-going development of a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Maintains an inventory of mechanical pump and related equipment parts.
- Advises and directs departmental staff on job site.
- Prepares reports and cost estimates.
- Participates in the mandatory on-call coverage for the Utility Stations Unit.
- Covers Operations Maintenance positions as assigned.
- Acts as Crew Leader, Trades, and Utility Stations Supervisor as assigned.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Regular hours of work: 4 x 10-hour shifts per week. Participates in the weekly on-call assignment on a rotational basis and may be called out at any time in any weather condition. Will be exposed to disagreeable and hazardous human waste, hazardous chemicals and environments and will be required to work in confined spaces.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Related Journeyperson Certification
- Confined Space Entry Certificate, Level 1 & 2 (14 hours)
- Fall Arrest Course (7 hours)
- Hazard Assessment and Control Course (7 hours)
- WHMIS & Dangerous Goods Handler (17.5 hours)
- Plant High Voltage Safety (14 hours)
- Leadership for Safety Excellence (14 hours)
- Standard First Aid Level C CPR (14 hours)
- Pumps, Theory, Operation & Maintenance (35 hours) & Vibration Analyzer (35 hours)
- Infrared Thermography (24 hours)
- Total hours = 391.5 hours
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- Previous Experience - 3 years related
- On-the-job experience – 6 months
- Proven ability to concentrate, pay attention to detail, organize , priority set and be a team player and be able to work with little supervision
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Vehicle, skidoo, boat and motor, ATV, aquifer testing equipment, chlorine gas feed systems and monitoring equipment, truck mounted hoist equipment, safety harness equipment, equipment for transportation of dangerous goods, generator and pumps, chain falls and slings, hand and shop tools, calibration kit, breathing apparatus, gas detectors, monitoring system, and computer with software applications such as PC Anywhere, SCADA, Outlook, Word, Excel, WorkTech, and maintenance management system.