New Job Urban Forest Worker (On-Site) In Alberta
|Urban Forest Worker (on-site)|
Urban Forest Worker (on-site)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $58,827–$64,832 a year
Location : Alberta
People who visit and live in Okotoks often comment on how beautiful the scenery is – the mountain views are majestic and the Sheep River valley is at the heart of where we play. They love that Okotoks is just 15 minutes south of Calgary and a short drive to Kananaskis Country. Okotoks has gained a reputation as an award-winning community, recognized nationally for our commitment to sustainability and to organizational excellence. With annexation complete, the community will grow substantially over the next 60 years. These are exciting times for Okotoks as we envision and plan for our future, while we remain committed to maintaining the enviable lifestyle our residents enjoy.
The Town of Okotoks is a progressive organization, offering a challenging and dynamic work environment where collaboration, open communication, frequent exchange of ideas and teamwork across different business centres assists us in providing exceptional customer service.
The Town of Okotoks fosters a culture of shared accountability through our collaboratively developed “Habits of Execution”, which empower employees to focus on organizational outcomes and support a high performance culture. We have a strong focus on health and safety, and strive for a culture of wellness, inclusion and organizational effectiveness.
We have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Urban Forest Worker to join our team to participate in achieving objectives of the Urban Forest Management Plan, Integrated Pest Management Plan, the Town’s general design and construction specifications, and sustainability objectives. Reporting to the Parks Manager, the Urban Forest Worker is responsible for:
- Support various duties to assist with coordination of work programs between multiple contractors and service providers related to urban forest issues;
- Responding to complaints, service requests and inquiries on urban forest issues from employees and citizens;
- Routine maintenance tasks that support the urban forest initiatives, such as plant identification, pruning, removals, watering, fertilizing, pest & disease control, inventory, hazard mitigation, etc.;
- Participating in volunteer and community events including the Community Clean Up, Arbor Day, Earth Day and Town-hosted events;
- Providing coaching, mentoring, leadership and safety training for seasonal staff; and
- Handling snow removal and other various maintenance tasks during the winter season.
What You Bring:
- Related certification such as Arborist, Horticulture or Urban Forestry.
- Minimum Class 5 driver’s license with Q endorsement.
- Disease and pest identification skills.
- Three or more years related work experience representing continuous learning required.
- The physical ability to perform demanding work for extended periods of time, such as, but not limited to, lifting, shoveling, sitting, standing, walking, etc., sometimes under unfavourable climatic conditions.
- The ability to work independently with limited direct supervision.
- Ability to work after hours, weekends and on-call/standby, as operationally required.
Additional assets include:
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualification and Plant Appraisal.
- Certification by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA).
- Tree climbing ability.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive benefit and pension plans
- Career development
- Flexible work schedule
- So much more!
Candidates who progress to final stages of the recruitment process will be required to provide proof of education and designation along with a favourable criminal record check and a driver’s abstract.
Business Centre: Parks
Position Type: Full-time
Compensation: $58,827 - $64,832
Standby Rotation Required: Yes
Hours of Work: 40 hours
Number of Openings: 1
Work Location: On-site
Police Record Check Required: Yes
Driver’s Abstract Required: Yes
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume online through the Apply Now option by the closing date listed. We will not be able to accept late applications.
The Town of Okotoks is an inclusive workplace and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those receiving an interview will be contacted.