New Job Specialist, Payroll In Yukon
Company : City of Whitehorse
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
Job posting closes: May 30, 2023 at 05:00 p.m. Yukon Standard Time
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Department: Corporate HR
The incumbent performs a range of payroll activities in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with established internal controls, relevant legislation, collective agreements, policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Process bi-weekly payroll in a timely and accurate manner. This may include:
- Calculating and processing payroll, contract payouts, eligible premiums, status changes and authorized deductions;
- Resolving timecard exceptions;
- Obtaining authorized approvals;
- Preparing electronic file to transfer payroll deposits;
- Processing terminations; and
- Issuing Records of Employment.
2. Respond to inquiries from staff and authorized third parties in relation to payroll matters, benefit plans, collective agreement provisions, leave entitlements and payroll legislation.
3. Prepare, compile and process statistical reports, statements and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts for various third parties (i.e. HRDC, WCB, CSB, Insurance Carrier, Union, RRSP, etc.).
4. Calculate and process retroactive payments as required.
5. Prepare regular remittances and other periodic reconciliations.
6. Assist in the preparation of T4 statements and year-end procedures.
7. Act as Payroll Supervisor as assigned.
8. Maintain electronic and manual payroll records..
9. Train staff on electronic time card process.
10. Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
11. Other related duties.
This position contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Majority of the work is performed under normal office conditions. Must maintain the confidentiality of all corporate information.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- 1 year post-secondary Business Administration or Accounting certification plus Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification.
- 3 years related in a computerized environment dealing with various employment contracts and 6 months on the job training.
- Comprehensive knowledge of collective agreements and payroll legislation.
- Proven skills working with computerized payroll software.
- Ability to work and maintain accuracy under pressure and to meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment with little supervision.
- Strong client service orientation and good interpersonal skills.
- Good organizational skills.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
General office equipment with the ability to operate ERP software programs, spreadsheets, electronic mail, word processing, etc.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/our-government/employment/how-to-apply/. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at [email protected].
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.