New Job School Principal In Nova Scotia
Company : Sipekne'katik Band Council
Salary : $35,409–$110,000 a year
Location : Nova Scotia
Exciting Career Opportunity
School Principal, L’nu Sipuk Kina’Muokuom (LSK)
Closing Date: June 18, 2023
This position is accountable for the provision of Primary to Grade 12 programs and services with approximately 300 Mi’kmaq students. This professional, educational leader will assist with the development and implementation of a strategic bilingual bi-cultural curriculum, staffing plan, operational budget and school committees. Reporting to the Director of Operations and Director of Education, the Principal will work with the Education Department in relation to projects, budgeting and special programming.
▪ Ensure the successful implementation of Primary to Grade 12 programs and services and the ongoing management of these programs and services.
▪ Keep attendance records for enrolled students at LSK School and take all reasonable steps to secure full and regular attendance of these students.
▪ Take reasonable steps to create and maintain a safe, orderly, positive and effective learning environment that includes carrying out disciplinary measures when necessary.
▪ Develop and implement a strategic bilingual bi-cultural curriculum.
▪ Construct a School staffing plan with yearly updates and assist with the recruitment and selection of LSK School staff.
▪ Supervise, mentor, and evaluate the performance of LSK School staff.
▪ Communicate regularly with parents, students, LSK staff and external Service providers.
▪ Maintain an updated records management system (e.g. student records, Teacher Licenses, staff training, criminal record checks, child abuse registry check’s, OH&S Records, incidents, etc.).
▪ Provide Certification Board-required documents for teachers each year.
▪ Manage LSK School’s operating budget as outlined in Finance policies & procedures.
▪ Organize, and contribute to, LSK School committees.
▪ Review, follow and recommend updates to LSK policy as needed.
▪ Attend Council meetings as requested: o with updates on daily operations at the School; o reporting on student enrollment; o providing recommendations to Council of School improvement plans; and o Other items, as required.
▪ Other duties, as identified by the Directors of Operations, Administration and Education.
▪ Master’s Degree in Education with a minimum of five (5) years teaching experience
▪ Administration and leadership level background.
▪ Background in bilingual bi-cultural education (Mi’kmaq and English education).
▪ Strong knowledge of the Mi’kmaq culture, history and language.
▪ Ability to work with all stakeholders including grandparents, parents, students, Council members and staff.
▪ Excellent communication and strong education leadership skills.
▪ Supervisory and staff evaluation experience.
▪ Expertise with the development and implementation of a strategic bilingual bi-cultural curriculum.
▪ Knowledge of the process for creating school staffing plans.
▪ Demonstrated experience with creating and managing a school’s operating budget.
▪ Familiarity with developing and contributing to school committees.
▪ Conflict Management and Crisis Intervention skills
▪ Familiar with all aspects of school functions, from teaching to administration
This position comes with a variety of benefits including health, dental, disability and life insurances, an employee & family assistance program and employer pension plan. Salary based on qualifications.
Please apply with a resume, cover letter and criminal records check to: Human Resource Manager Email [email protected] Mail/drop off: 522 Church Street, Indian Brook, NS B0N 2H0
We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Indigenous applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. The Band will not assume any expenses related to any job-related application process, included but not limited to travel, relocation, and application development. Please note certain positions come with mandatory employee benefits. Only those applicants who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,408.57-$110,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Indian Brook 14, NS B0N 2H0: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Master's Degree (preferred)
- Teaching: 5 years (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-06-18