New Job Parks Coordinator In British Columbia
Company : District of West Vancouver
Salary : $40.30 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community.
The West Vancouver Parks Department has an opening for a permanent full-time Parks Coordinator.
Reporting to the Parks Planning and Development Manager, this position is responsible for planning, coordinating, assigning and developing the maintenance and operational functions of the Parks Department.
· Oversight of the planning, developing and implementing of the trail building and maintenance, carpentry and construction functions associated with the Parks Department;
· Conducting inspections of parks and trails to ensure that operations, maintenance and projects conform to schedules, budgets and safety regulations;
· Liaising with staff and other agencies in coordinating maintenance, construction and other related activities of the Parks Department;
· Knowledge in the application of best practices in the management of parks, trails, carpentry, construction, and related projects and operations,
· Leading, coaching and promoting a team spirit of cooperation and innovation;
· Assisting in developing standards for maintenance and operational procedures;
· Following up on maintenance concerns, assigning responsibility and coordinating effective remedial actions;
· Ensuring work is carried out amongst the various crews in the most efficient manner possible;
The preferred candidate will possess: exceptional communication and leadership capabilities including proven experience providing vision, guidance and supervision support to a team; effective and tactful skills for managing staff and responding to community concerns; ability to manage service delivery of multiple crews; considerable knowledge of principles, practices, equipment, and safety regulations applicable to the work of the Parks Department ; strong budgeting skills; experience leading projects; team player attributes; and successful experience in analysis, planning and strategy development.
The ideal candidate has completed: A university degree in parks and outdoor recreation, environmental science, park management, leadership, or related disciplines; accredited courses in leadership studies; and considerable related experience in parks operations, supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Successful candidates will be required to submit an acceptable Driver’s Abstract from ICBC, a police information check, and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on Westnet.
Union (WVMEA) – Permanent, Full-Time
Hours of Work:
37.5 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Starting Rate of Pay:
$40.30 per hour (this position has a pay structure with five steps which increase annually).
11:59 p.m. on Monday, June 5, 2023
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.