New Job Labourer In Alberta
Requisition ID: 1968
Affiliation: CUPE Municipal
Position Type: Temporary Full Time
Fixed Term Duration: Approximately four (4) months
Number of Openings: 1
Bi-weekly Working Hours: 84 hours bi-weekly
Shift/Work Schedule: 5 days on / 4 days off, 4 days on / 5 days off rotation; 12-hour shifts (subject to change)
Department/ Branch: Public Works, Parks
Job Location: Fort McMurray
Pay Level: PL6
Rate*: $ 38.75
COLA: Bi-Weekly - $480
Closing Date (dd/mm/yyyy): 21/05/2023
Posting Type: Internal and External
All CUPE job rates are currently under review and are subject to change.
Under general supervision, the Labourer, Public Works Operations performs manual labour duties involved in Parks, Roads, and Rural Operations. Tasks include, but are not limited to, cleaning and maintaining all assigned areas, operating a variety of small equipment and hand/power tools of a limited-skill nature, and performing general labourer duties.
The incumbent receives oral and written instructions from a Supervisor, Team Lead, or designate and work is monitored or checked in progress and upon completion to ensure that instructions are properly carried out and meet set standards. Assigned general labour tasks may include, but are not limited to, the below responsibilities.
Maintain assigned areas using various small hand and power tools and equipment.
- Perform various grounds maintenance duties such as, cutting grass, weeding, raking, planting, picking rocks, and collecting refuse.
- Operate assigned equipment and light motorized vehicles including, but not limited to, small engine equipment, implements, pick-up trucks, skid steers, multi-use vehicles, snow removal equipment, and professional grass cutting equipment.
- Load, unload, and deliver material and supplies from and to various locations.
- Perform clean up and minor maintenance duties on assigned infrastructure.
- Assist other departments/branches when required.
- Assist with inspections of signage/barricades for deficiencies and crosswalks for sightline and road markings.
- Install and maintain street signs.
- Dig holes and trenches.
- Traffic control.
- Assist in the painting of road markings, including crosswalks and the maintenance of guardrails and underground vaults.
- Assist technicians/trades by performing limited skilled manual work when required.
- Respond to public enquiries in a courteous and effective manner.
- Maintain daily records.
- Complete training on equipment and participate in RMWB training programs as required by operations.
- Complete field level hazard assessments (FLHAs) and incident reports as required.
- Support Parks programs and Winter Operations as operationally required.
- Perform all other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ability to understand and execute verbal directions.
- Demonstrable knowledge of occupational hazards, signage, use of personal protective equipment (PPE), and applicable safety precautions as per municipal and industry standards.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with a diverse range of people, using judgement, and tact, sometimes in conflict situations.
- Ability to work collaboratively and productively with co-workers and actively contributes to team activities.
- Ability to multi-task, organize work, set priorities, and achieve work related objectives and goals.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to perform manual labour for extended periods of time under various weather conditions.
- Must be able to listen attentively and communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- General math, numeracy, and reading skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- One (1) year of related labourer experience is required.
- First Aid Certificate is an asset.
Ability to provide a Criminal Record Check for review and acceptance.
- A valid Class Five (5) Operator’s License is required as incumbent may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business use on a regular basis.
- Q-endorsement (Air Brakes) is an asset.
- Must be willing to work outside in all conditions.
- Immunizations are strongly recommended for work in unsanitary conditions.
- Must be medically and physically able to perform all duties of the position on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to work on-call and on a rotating shift that includes holidays, evening/night shift, and weekends.
As an employee of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the incumbent is responsible for understanding and actively participating in the RMWB’s health and safety management system, including all policies, practices, procedures, as well as properly utilizing all control measures including the required use of personal protective equipment. All employees must take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of themselves and others, as well as immediately report any concerns, near misses, incidents, and hazardous conditions to their supervisor.
To apply: Please visit our website at jobs.rmwb.ca
Current employees must apply through the internal careers site.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted. Late applications will not be accepted.