New Job Inspector Municipal Construction In Ontario
|INSPECTOR MUNICIPAL CONSTRUCTION|
INSPECTOR MUNICIPAL CONSTRUCTION
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $40.52–$44.37 an hour
Location : Ontario
Job ID: 35033
Job Category: Audit, Compliance & Inspections
Division & Section: Toronto Water, TW Distribution & Collection
Work Location: 150 Disco Road
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Permanent
Hourly Rate: $40.52 - $44.37, TF4224, Wage Grade 12
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week
Affiliation: Local 79 Full-time
Number of Positions Open: 3
Posting Period: 08-May-2023 to 22-May-2023
Reporting to the Supervisor Contract Services, the incumbent will carry out inspection duties on all phases of municipal civil construction, primarily water and wastewater infrastructure and roads, sidewalks, curbs for Toronto Water and other divisions.
- Coordinates scheduling and discusses details of pending repairs/construction work with staff, contractors, management staff, utilities and other agencies.
- Monitors City and Municipal construction projects, such as, the construction of watermains, water connections, sewer mains, sewer connections, storm water facilities, roads, sidewalks, curbs, parks, buildings, to ensure that the work is in compliance with contract specifications and drawings, City and other referenced specifications & standards, grading sheets, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other statutes and regulations.
- Inspects materials to ensure that they are of the proper quality and in accordance with contract plans and City specifications and policies. Occasionally oversees repairs/construction by private developers, Toronto Transit Commission.
- Carries out field inspection on construction done by Utility Companies, to ensure their adherence to previously approved plans and that restoration is to City standards.
- Marks designated areas for repair/construction on structures such as curbs and gutters, as per drawings and other records.
- Conducts visual inspections and performs on-site sampling and testing (e.g. air, slump and temperature tests for concrete, casts concrete cylinders, obtains temperature and samples of asphalt).
- Collects and delivers samples of materials for lab testing to ensure materials conform to specifications and collects test results.
- Makes appropriate construction decisions as required within the scope of responsibility.
- Maintains project diaries/records/notes and prepares progress reports, as-built drawings/sketches, inspection reports including contract items, materials/equipment used, hours worked and status of project completion and weather conditions in paper and/or electronic form.
- Measures repaired and/or constructed areas to verify dimensions and calculates quantities for payment to contractors. Assists in preparation of monthly progress payments and payment for additional work.
- Ensures that traffic control is in accordance with current MTO requirements for Book 7 and specified equipment is utilized on work sites.
- Attends pre-construction and job site meetings to discuss progress, resolve problems (e.g. completion dates, finalization, non-compliance).
- Liaises and maintains a high standard of coordination and cooperation with general public, contractors, consultants, utilities, city staff and other agencies.
- Maintains up to date records for 'as-built' drawings as project progresses. Assists with preparation of contracts.
- Reports non-compliance with the O.H.S.A. and other applicable regulations; recommends and take corrective action.
- Performs guarantee maintenance inspections for initiation and release of maintenance.
- Operates a smartphone including taking photos for pictorial records.
- Operates a personal computer, tablet and related software programs in the performance of duties including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Internet Explorer Browser, Google Chrome Browser. In addition, Work Management Systems such as Hansen, Public Utility Coordinating Committee (PUCC), Distribution and Collection Asset Database (DCAD), Toronto Water Asset Geo-database (TWAG), TO INview, Road Allowance Control System (RACS) and any other applicable software.
- Must be physically capable of performing the required duties.
- Operates a motor vehicle in the performance of duties.
- Must be available to work weekends, overtime and occasional shift work.
- Investigates service requests, claims, documents action required and/or taken, maintain files for evidence. May be required to present evidence in court pertaining to Contractual or Civil Cases.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Graduate in a Civil Engineering Technologist Program from a recognized College or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the construction and inspection of municipal infrastructure including sewers, watermains, roads, and appurtenances.
- Experience in dealing with construction personnel, and enforcing the terms, standards, and specifications of construction contracts.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "G" Driver's Licence. Must qualify for and be able to maintain City's equipment Operator's permit.
You Must Also Have:
- Considerable experience in the application of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work including confined space entry, traffic control, WHMIS, first aid.
- Advanced knowledge of the type, quality, and quality assurance methods required for the construction, sewers and water mains, roads, sidewalks, curbs etc.
- Thorough knowledge of construction methods as related to the job description of the position.
- Ability to determine whether the construction work performed is in accordance with required standards and contract documents.
- Ability to read and interpret various types of technical drawings including specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to deal with the public in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability to provide work direction and training to others.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and work independently at multiple work locations simultaneously.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to prepare concise and accurate reports and the ability to make calculation estimates for materials, time, etc. required for projects.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing and develop solid internal and external work relationships.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to use tactful but firm persuasion to secure cooperation from Construction contractors personnel.
- Proficiency in the use of computers/tablets and MS Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- With the appropriate safety precautions, must be able to tolerate heights, dusty, noisy, odorous conditions and confined spaces.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Ontario Association of Engineering, Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) would be an asset.
- Knowledge with the City of Toronto Standards and Specifications and Ontario Provincial Standards Specifications (OPSS) documents would be an asset.
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City's Internal Job Posting Portal.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.