New Job Home Coordinator In Alberta
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $5,094–$6,106 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 42284
Ministry: Seniors, Community and Social Services
Location: Michener Services, Red Deer
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 38.75 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: May 29, 2023
Classification: Rehabilitation 2
A successful society: is defined by its people and the opportunities available for them to fully and actively participate in all aspects of life and provide for themselves and/or their families. The Ministry of Seniors, Community and Social Services works to foster a society in which families are secure and resilient, individuals have safe, sustainable employment, vulnerable Albertans have the supports they require, and no one is left behind. You can be part of helping us make a difference!
The Ministry of Seniors Community and Social Services leads income, employment, disabilities and community-based supports, family violence prevention, and family & community support services.
To find out more about our work visit:
If you are a dynamic leader with a commitment to serving persons with developmental disabilities, this may be the opportunity you are looking for. Responsible for home operations, this role is focused on community inclusion and providing effective services to diverse residents.
Michener Services requires a Home Coordinator responsible for supervision of cohorts of staff in group home settings. The Home Coordinator serves in a leadership role, guiding the day-to-day operations of homes in a 24/7 facility. This role is responsible for Michener residents and meeting their needs in all aspects of life. This position is responsible for supervision of home staff which includes establishing expectations, scheduling, training, mentoring, evaluating performance, and teamwork. The Home Coordinator will support a safe and healthy work environment that respects the diversity of staff and residents.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Recruitment, scheduling, training and supervision of large staff cohorts.
- Ensuring home operations adhere to policies and procedures and the Collective Agreement.
- Managing home finances, supplies and equipment.
- Collaborating with Guardians, professionals and other stakeholders to support Michener residents.
- Developing and achieving goals in resident’s individual service plans
- Responding to health emergencies on homes according to established processes.
- Compliance with all licensing requirements as per Alberta’s Supportive Independent Living Act.
- Working with a team of Home Coordinators to manage organizational staffing and resources as one direct operation site.
- Home consolidation planning and coordination
- Providing leadership in key operational areas to support projects and priorities as needed.
- Policy development
- After-hours supervision on a rotational basis
A directly related two (2) year diploma or a degree related to the position and two (2) years of related experience is required.
- Supervisory experience and demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation, policies, procedures and licensing requirements.
- Emergency planning experience
- Experience servicing persons with developmental disabilities and complex needs; Restrictive Procedures; Accommodation Standards; PPIC Act; Occupational Health and Safety legislation
- Understanding of the AUPE Collective agreement and application to sub 9 staff.
- Finance management skills
- Coaching and mentoring skills
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities.
- Agility to respond to changing circumstances.
- Change management experience
- Computer literacy skills
Please ensure your cover letter and resume highlights how your previous work experience is related to the qualifications and requirements for this position. Please clearly state the employment dates on your resume with the month and the year.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
- Agility: you will need to provide results in a complex, diverse and changing environment.
- Drive for Results: you will work with your team to set goals and priorities and to deliver outcomes that are consistent with the direction of the department.
- Develop Self and Others: you will drive by example a team culture that is focused on continuous learning and growth and encourage self-development through experience sharing.
- Build Collaborative Environments: you will establish and maintain business relationships with clients, encourage or facilitate discussions and build long lasting relationships.
- Develop Networks: you will seek out input from a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to solve complex problems and provide the best solutions.
- Systems thinking: you will consider the whole system when developing, evaluating and implementing process and technology change.
- Creative Problem Solving: Have the ability to assess options and implications in new ways to achieve outcomes and solutions.
$2,546.80 - $3,052.77 bi-weekly.
Special considerations: Please note that this is Permanent position. (Hours of 38.75 per week) The successful candidate(s) must be able to work all shifts including days, afternoons, awake overnights, and weekends called in on short notice.
Final candidates will be required to undergo a security screening. Due to wait times to receive a completed Criminal Records Check (CRC) that includes Vulnerable Sector screening check, applicants that are invited for an interview are encouraged to request a completed CRC (level 1) that includes Vulnerable Sector screening check from their local RCMP/Police detachment prior to their interview. The CRC will only need to be provided upon request. A Criminal Record Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check must be on file for all current Government of Alberta Employees. If not, a new current criminal record check will need to be supplied. This position may be used to fill future vacancies across the Government of Alberta, at equal or lower classification and salary.
What we have to Offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plans:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
- Apply for Jobs with the Alberta Public Service:
- Understanding the Alberta Public Service Hiring Process:
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Nadine Uwimana at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check