New Job Heavy Equipment Mechanic In Yukon
|Heavy Equipment Mechanic|
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Company : Government of Yukon
Salary : $42.66 an hour
Location : Yukon
Trades & Labour
Government of Yukon -> Highways & Public Works – Transportation Maintenance Garage Ops Shop
Location: Watson Lake, YT
Salary: $42.66 per hour
Closing date: July 25, 2023
This competition is open to all candidates who meet the above noted Admissibility. A hiring preference will apply for qualified candidates of Canadian Indigenous ancestry, with a priority for qualified Yukon First Nation candidates. This initiative is in support of the Yukon government’s goal for a representative public service.
For more information on the hiring preference, visit www.yukon.ca/hiring-preference.
This is an until-filled competition for a permanent, full-time position, working 80 hours bi-weekly. Candidates are encouraged not to delay submitting their application as this posting can close at any time with 24-hours posted notice. Resumes will be screened at regular intervals until the position is filled or the competition closes, whichever is earliest.
Relocation expenses may be considered.
Highways and Public Works – who we are
Employees at Highways and Public Works are responsible for ensuring safe and efficient public highways, airstrips, buildings, and information systems. Our collective vision is to make a difference in the lives of Yukoners. At all levels of our organization, we value leadership, innovation, teamwork, and keeping our people safe. Our priorities are to be client focused, to support our people, to build sustainably, and to advance reconciliation throughout the Yukon.
The Transportation Division of Highways and Public Works builds and maintains the infrastructure, systems and programs that are critical to a healthy and vibrant Yukon. We employ operators, engineers, analysts, administrators, mechanics, and safety specialists, to name a few, and we offer many rewarding career opportunities. Our aviation, engineering, maintenance and transport services branches ensure a safe and effective transportation network that connects the Yukon to the world and supports economic growth and a healthy society within the territory. We take this responsibility very seriously and we thrive in a challenging environment keeping the Yukon on the move 24/7.
At the Transportation Maintenance Branch, we are committed to maintaining all highway, recreational roads, airstrips and other facilities for the travelling public. We deliver services in a professional and efficient manner, with safety as our number one priority.
In the Mechanical Operations Unit, we are committed to providing a cost-effective service for our fleet of highway maintenance equipment. We are currently looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual that has the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Reporting to the Heavy Equipment Mechanical Foreperson, the ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of preventative maintenance, skills in repairing, maintaining and overhauling a large variety of heavy equipment, and experience diagnosing and troubleshooting electrically controlled diesel engines.
Essential Qualifications (what we’re looking for in your resume):
- Red Seal Journeyperson Heavy Equipment Mechanic
- Red Seal Journeyperson Truck and Coach Mechanic
- Experience diagnosing, servicing, troubleshooting and repairing mobile and stationary equipment
- Experience performing preventative maintenance inspections and repairs
- Recent experience diagnosing and troubleshooting electrically controlled diesel engines, transmissions and other such components (i.e. Cummins, CAT and Volvo)
If your resume shows education, training, and/or experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above, your application may be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability (what candidates will be assessed on):
- Safety and service orientation
- Strong knowledge of preventative maintenance
- Knowledge of regeneration systems
- Knowledge of electronic controls for hydraulic systems
- Adaptability to changing priorities
- Ability to promote respect, dependability and reliability
- Willingness to work in a team environment
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Class 5 Yukon Driver's Licence
- Completion of Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certificate (must be obtained within 6 months of hire)
- Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program (CVIP) certification (must be obtained within 6 months of hire)
- Valid Class 3 Yukon Driver’s Licence with Air Brake Endorsement (must be obtained within 6 months of hire)
- Relocation expenses may be considered
Lift heavy objects; work in adverse weather conditions; work at heights of 6-10 feet; guide, and work with, apprentice mechanics; work outside of headquarters area for extended periods of time; and accept standby shift responsibilities.
- Find out what we offer our employees
- See why the Yukon government has been identified as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers since 2014
If you have questions about this position, please contact Steven Johnson, Equipment Maintenance Planner, at [email protected] or 867-667-3789
If you have questions about applying for a job with the Yukon government or if you need an accommodation for this staffing process, please contact Jennifer Collon, HR Consultant, at [email protected]
Learn more about us!
We are the Yukon public service. Every day, we come together to serve the people who live here, and to make a difference in so many ways—from simple to extraordinary and everything in between. Here, you will find the diverse opportunities you desire to develop your career while enjoying a warm sense of community and vibrant artistic, cultural and recreational amenities, all set in a spectacular natural environment.
To learn more about what the Yukon has to offer, check out these links:
http://www.employment.gov.yk.ca/yukon_life.html and https://www.travelyukon.com/en
How to Apply
To apply for the position of Heavy Equipment Mechanic, and for full details on the requirements of the role, please visit: https://yukon.ca/en/employment.
"Committed to Employment Equity"