New Job Gis Specialist In Alberta
Western EcoSystems Technology (WEST), founded in 1990, has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. In 2017, WEST expanded into Canada by opening an office in Calgary, AB, with staff now in Alberta and Ontario. In our continued drive to provide outstanding professional consulting services and original solutions to a wide range of natural resource problems, Western EcoSystems Technology, ULC. (WEST) has an opening for a full-time GIS Specialist in its Calgary, AB office.
Number of positions available: 1
Positions Type: Full-Time
Location: Calgary, Alberta (preferred); flexibility for qualified candidates
Job Closing: May 28, 2023
Tentative Start Date: June 5, 2023
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- RRSP (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
- Life insurance, Long Term Disability and AD&D
The ideal candidate will have experience in the use of GIS technique and software as it is applied to the fields of environmental science and natural resources. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and maintaining spatial data, updating spatial data sources and references, producing professional maps, and performing spatial analyses for a wide range of environmentally focused projects for industry, government, and private organizations.
This is a general description of the requirements for this position and is not inclusive of all duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geomatics, or a related field, such as Remote Sensing, Information Technology, Biology, Environmental Science, or Statistics AND 1 or more years of professional GIS experience,
- OR master’s degree in Geography, Geomatics, or a related field, such as Remote Sensing, Information Technology, Biology, Environmental Science, or Statistics.
- Proficiency with Esri ArcGIS Pro and Desktop Suite.
- Experience with Google Earth.
- Experience with ArcGIS ModelBuilder and some Python scripting.
- Understanding of cartographic principles and spatial data file types.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills.
- High degree of organization.
- Initiative and motivation as a self-starter.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Capability to assist with word processing, formatting and editing of project deliverables, as requested, following pre-determined WEST Style Guides.
- Capability to work with distributed teams in multiple locations throughout the United States and Canada using company tools for teleconferencing and videoconferencing. The candidate will be expected to organize conference calls with project team members, track action items and notes, and facilitate resolution and follow up actions as needed within the project team.
- Experience with renewable construction practices and regulations.
- Experience utilizing Fish and Wildlife Internet Mapping System (FWIMS).
- Experience with Agricultural Region of Alberta Soil Inventory Database (AGRASID).
- Experience with Alberta Wildlife Act, Alberta Water Act, Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool (ABWRET) components in relation to spatial files and cartography.
- Experience with QGIS.
- Experience troubleshooting GIS technical issues.
- Experience with ArcGIS Online and field data collection apps.
Staff may work independently or with a team and must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with site management and WEST supervisors.
Successful candidates must be able to provide a driver’s abstract that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. Successful candidates must also be able to pass periodic drug and alcohol test that meets the minimum criteria of WEST and our clients. Candidates must be capable of adhering to all health and safety requirements outlined by WEST and our clients, for the duration of their employment.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, mental or physical disability, marital status, family status or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law.