New Job Financial Analyst In Ontario
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Ontario
Job ID: 37005
Job Category: Finance, Accounting & Purchasing
Division & Section: Toronto Paramedic Services, PS Operational Support
Work Location: 4330 Dufferin St, Toronto
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, One (1) Permanent, Full-Time & One (1) Temporary Full-Time (12 months)
Hourly Rate and Wage Grade: $45.08 - $49.41
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 Hours per week (70 hours bi-weekly)
Affiliation: L79 Full-time
Number of Positions Open: 2
Posting Period: 16-MAY-2023 to 31-MAY-2023
To provide an overall financial/accounting and procurement managed services to Toronto Paramedic Services through daily and monthly financial analysis, variance analysis, budget and research analysis, preparing and processing documents, review of divisional procedures, risk assessments, enhancing and developing financial and internal controls, participating in multi-disciplinary project based team assignments, monitoring corporate accounting and purchasing policy initiatives and other support
- Conducts research, evaluates alternatives, develops business cases and provides appropriate cost/benefit and financial analysis on various financial accounting issues impacting the Division
- Conducts detailed analysis, variance analysis and appropriate follow up of financial accounting issues and recommends needed corrective action in regards to revenues, expenditures and commitments
- Reviews all divisional and corporate policies, processes and procedures and financial information systems; evaluates risk exposure; reports findings to Supervisor and Manager; and develops and/or recommends improved/enhanced internal controls
- Prepares comprehensive financial reports/briefing notes/correspondence and other analyses as requested by the Supervisor/Manager for Senior Management Team and/or Council on financial accounting and variance reporting issues, including contract usage reports
- Preparation of staff reports/briefing notes/documents, including research and analysis, to support and establish procurement protocols for award of contracts, amendment of contracts and any requirements for contract management
- Responsible for preparing new or re-occurring procurement documents (such as RFQs, RFPs, RFIs) and work directly with Division staff, including the Division's Legal Advisor as needed, and work directly with Corporate PMMD staff to ensure completion and accuracy of competitive bid procedures or non-competitive procurement procedures, following Corporate Purchasing By-Laws, policies and procedures
- Preparing and reviewing the Division's monthly contract management reports and alerting Division staff and Supervisor as needed in a proactive manner avoiding overspent contracts
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of revenues, payables and purchasing processes on a regular basis; reports findings to Supervisor and Manager; recommends and participates in the implementation of improved procedures
- Participates in studies or initiatives from program, identifies financial risk areas, makes recommendations and helps in the implementation of initiatives
- Participates on project teams/ad-hoc committees as the financial representative and provides a financial perspective that can affect any decisions or recommendations made
- Provides sound advice, guidance and analytical services regarding procurement, accounting and budget issues to divisional staff
- Assists the Manager and the Supervisor in the performance of their work including ad-hoc analysis
- Ensures Divisional compliance with Cluster/Corporate financial policies and procedures, with focus on the City's Purchasing By-laws, policies and procedures
- Establishes and maintains an effective program for financial control of various services, service elements and activities
- Performs detailed analysis of the general ledger and prepares adjusting journal entries, if and when required
- Responsible to take initiative, work overtime and meet Corporate deadlines as necessary
- Coordinates and/or provides work direction and/or performs backup coverage on accounts payable or other unit financial tasks to support other team members
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Completion of a professional accounting designation, e.g. CA, CPA, or Bachelor's Degree in Business or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive work experience at a senior accounting level in the public or private sector working directly with Senior Management.
- Extensive experience in accounting, accounts reconciliation, purchasing and procurement, contract administration, with strong experience using the City Purchasing By-Laws Policies and Procedures.
- Extensive experience in SAP in the areas of Purchasing/Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and GL, with extensive knowledge of financial and accounting systems, processes and system controls.
- Advanced experience in Excel and MS Office including practical experience in computer based systems and databases as they relate to financial analysis and variance analysis against budgets.
- Experience providing effective work direction and on the job training to other staff.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of accounting principles and techniques, policies, procedures, maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, deployment of control accounts, reconciliation of accounts, and Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP).
- Knowledge of the City's By-Laws, policies and procedures with respect to purchasing, accounting, accounts payable, revenues and financial reporting.
- Highly skilled in extracting large amounts of data from corporate systems and organizing and analyzing that data for the purpose of transforming the data into information for management decision making.
- Ability to interpret, understand and implement complex procedures and agreements and to initiate innovative ideas.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of staff and with external clients.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, coach and work harmoniously in teams.
- Highly developed analytical, conflict resolution, problem solving and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices used in the effective application of financial analysis of government operations.
- Highly developed communication skills both orally and in writing at all organizational levels.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Ability to travel to various locations to attend and provide off-site training sessions.
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City's Internal Job Posting Portal.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy , accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.