New Job Data Specialist In Ontario
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $93,500–$119,274 a year
Location : Ontario
Job ID: 37870
Job Category: Engineering & Technical
Division & Section: Toronto Water, TW Customer & Technical Support
Work Location: 60 Tiffield Rd, Toronto
Job Type & Duration: 2 Temporary (36 months) vacancy
Salary: $93,500.00 - $119,274.00 TM5110 Wage Grade 6
Shift Information: Monday- Friday, 35 hours per week
Qualified List will be established to fill permanent and temporary positions.
Number of Positions Open: 2
Posting Period: 4-May-2023 to 18-May-2023
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Leads tasks and projects related to the modelling, analysis, and interpretation of divisional and other spatial datasets.
- Designs, tests, and builds complex models to solve complex divisional analytics problems, identifying opportunities for using advanced statistical and predictive modelling techniques.
- Investigates and implements cutting edge machine learning techniques.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates work plans for divisional data projects and tasks.
- Explores, analyses, and advises the Team Lead and Manager on the value and applications of, and challenges associated with, emerging datasets.
- Works with various research methods.
- Builds processes and methods to ingest and analyze large datasets from structured and unstructured data sources such as GPS-probe data, sensor-based data, and other large datasets.
- Conducts peer and literature reviews on novel modelling and analysis techniques in spatial data science.
- Establishes and applies best practices in documenting processes, models, analyses, and code.
- Keeps abreast of the latest research in the relevant fields, spatial data analytics and machine learning.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on decisions or questions related to data analytics and modelling.
- Prepares reports and submissions (e.g. briefing notes, staff reports, and other correspondences) for the Division and City Council.
- Works with internal and external partners and private sector collectors, disseminators and analysts to collect and analyze data on behalf of the Division.
- Develops strategies to ensure information is available and accessible for stakeholders including Council, the public, and staff.
- Attends and presents at conferences and technical working groups, spatial analytics, data analysis, and/or machine learning.
- Fosters and maintains effective working relationships and networks with divisional staff, other government agencies, and other data science professionals.
- Monitors and evaluates the functionality of applications developed at the Division and makes recommendations for enhancements.
- Ensures compliance with safety and security matters under Occupational Health & Safety legislation and Divisional safety and security policies.
- Support the Division’s production databases and must be available for standby or on-call duties afterhours during holidays and for emergency events.
- Develops methodologies and techniques for the ongoing assessment of database performance, capacity monitoring, problem notification to mobile devices, email and/or on-line reporting environment. Liaises with other divisions or corporate Database administrators, technical specialists and subject matter experts to assess and control database product software resources and database license usage.
- Establishes database backup and recovery standards and procedures. Provides backup and recovery services. Works with business and technical specialists and subject matter experts to design and implement server consolidation, disaster recovery, business continuation and other IT policies and procedures.
- Converts, migrates and reorganizes data among different database systems, products and applications to facilitate data consolidation, integration or expansion legacy systems upgrade and server virtualization.
- Researches new software and database releases to find effective solutions in the context of evolving information architecture, evaluates alternatives and recommends policies, modifications in the standards/procedures, common software required, and the final product acquisition including solutions for high availability environment. Introduces and implements industry best practices for major enhancements and maintenance of information system services.
- Refresh development and test/training databases to support the development life cycle and training/testing effforts. Participates in application testing/training, acceptance testing and project quality and security reviews.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Database System Management or Computer Sciences, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience providing implementation analysis and support in data management systems, data integrity, security, backup and recovery.
- Considerable work experience with database concepts and design; system/network architecture, operations, protocols, design and development techniques; application support; system and services monitoring tools to support and implement database software and service activities.
- Considerable work experience in one or more of the following tools and technical environment but not limited to: Bomgar, OEM, TOAD, SSMS,SQL Developer, Oracle APEX 5.1, MS SQL 2012 to 2017.
- Considerable work experience in Quality Assurance and Test processes
Equity, Diversit y and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.