New Job Constituency Assistant - Mayor'S Office In Ontario
|Constituency Assistant - Mayor's Office|
Constituency Assistant - Mayor's Office
Company : City of Hamilton
Salary : $31.97–$37.39 an hour
Location : Ontario
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities - home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged empowered employees. Help us achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully. #BeTheReason
JOB ID #: 20612
Constituency Assistant - Mayor's Office
City Hall, 71 Main St W
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 1 Full-Time Temporary
UNION/NON-UNION: Non Union Mgmt Professional
HOURS Of WORK: 35.00 per week
SALARY/HOUR: $31.969 - $37.391 per hour
- Note: See appropriate Collective Agreement or the Non Union Salary Range for details.
STATUS/LENGTH: Temporary, End of term (November 14, 2026)
Job Description ID #: 7466
Vaccine Verification - Applies to all external applicants as well as internal applicants applying to work at the Lodges, Hamilton Paramedic Services and the Red Hill Child Care Centre:
As a condition of employment you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated or provide proof of valid exemption satisfactory to the employer prior to your start date. You must acknowledge and agree to comply with any future vaccine policy requirements as an ongoing condition of employment at the City of Hamilton.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Act as a communication link between the Mayor and the public. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the incumbent will be primarily responsible for the general administrative operations of the Mayor’s office.
- Act as a communication link between the Mayor and the public. As the first point of contact for the Mayor’s Office, exhibit professional demeanor in all contacts with staff and the public.
- Responsible for monitoring and reviewing: incoming email, mail and phone messages. Respond to enquiries by sending appropriate and timely responses. Referring or directing enquiries to the appropriate MO staff or appropriate city staff.
- Open all incoming mail directing it to the appropriate staff in the Office of the Mayor and/or copying relevant staff and departments on pertinent incoming mail.
- Manage, refer and respond to resident emails; handling inquiries, concerns and complaints by either resolving or referring to appropriate staff. Ensure casework records are maintained and follow-up on requests and inquiries, as needed.
- Answer incoming telephone inquiries from the public, and city staff; respond to queries, refer where necessary and follow-up as needed.
- Monitor and document resident issues.
- Administer and log incoming communications, (phone, email, letters and in-person visits) from residents into the Mayor’s database. Record issues, follow-ups and actions taken on behalf of the constituent.
- Develop and maintain confidential and information filing systems, ensuring the safeguarding of all confidential files.
- Prepare binder(s) for Committee(s), GIC and Council, for the Mayor and the Mayor’s Office.
- Serve as liaison with the City Clerk and Councillor’s Offices to ensure timely signature of documents, letters and reports.
- Responsible for preparing boardroom for meetings: handling set-up, ensuring availability of drinking water, (coffee and tea – where appropriate), room breakdown and cleanup after meetings.
- Welcome guests and dignitaries bringing them into the Mayor’s office or boardroom as required.
- Provide back-up coverage and relief for reception.
- Prepare certificates for anniversaries, birthdays, special tributes and other occasions.
- Responsible for logging/inventorying all gifts received and gifts distributed from the office of the Mayor, including pins and mementos.
- Monitor and order office supplies as required.
- Arrange for gifts as required in the absence of the Scheduler.
- Liaise / act as contact person with other city departments, elected officials, dignitaries and organizers of special events as requested
- Assist with arrangements for meetings and ceremonies as required, paying particular attention to protocol and detail.
- Coordinate special functions by booking rooms, ordering/preparing refreshments.
- Provide administrative support to the Chief of Staff as required.
- Arrange designated replacements from Members of Council for the Mayor, as requested.
- Provide back-up support/relief for the Mayor’s Scheduler as required.
- Assist in the collection of information for the formulation of policy.
- Maintain a thorough and continuous awareness of City initiatives, Council policies and municipal matters.
- Provide administrative support to the Office of the Mayor as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the normal functions of this position with minimum supervision and direction.
1. Post-secondary degree or diploma in one of the following; Political Science, Public Policy, Municipal Affairs, Sociology or similar area of study, and
2. Previous experience in the duties listed above, in a fast-paced, high-productivity and high-pressure environment.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of the duties listed above normally acquired through a combination of education and progressive work-related experience.
4. Experience in a computerized environment. Proficiency in Word, Excel, MS Access, Power Point, Microsoft Outlook, Internet, desktop publishing and web page applications.
5. Possess superior interpersonal communication skills with the ability to relate to elected officials, and the general public with tact and professionalism.
6. Previous experience in a government environment at the municipal, federal or provincial level is an asset.
7. Ability to adapt to unexpected changes in workload, adjust priorities as circumstances require and the ability to interact appropriately with staff and members of the public.
8. Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally. Work cooperatively and effectively with others to meet goals.
9. A strong team player working cooperatively with all team members with the ability to balance a number of projects simultaneously and meet deadlines in a complex, quickly changing and high-pressure environment.
10. Must be able to interpret municipal legislation.
11. Knowledge of general accounting principles, including ability to monitor accounts, maintain routine financial records, calculate, prepare and process invoices and accounts payable would be an asset.
12. Must have superior written, oral and visual communication skills, including experience in creating and editing documents, with attention to detail and accuracy. Must have the ability to communicate effectively, and write in a clear, professional and timely manner.
13. Must possess maturity, initiative, good judgment, and exhibit a high level of discretion and confidentiality.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.