New Job Clerk - Emergency Room In Ontario
|Clerk - Emergency Room|
Clerk - Emergency Room
Company : Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital
Salary : $23.81–$25.90 an hour
Location : Ontario
Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital (OSMH) is located in the City of Orillia - a beautiful community nestled along the shores of Lake Simcoe and Lake Couchiching. Orillia offers an environment where a health work/life balance is easy to achieve as exceptional urban amenities, natural resources, points of interest, and recreational opportunities abound.
People have always been OSMH’s greatest strength. Our committed team has helped our community for over a century. We offer an environment where each individual works interdependently towards common goals: we value Trust, Courage and Teamwork. We are an organization where individuals’ contributions are valued and there are many opportunities for personal growth and development.
- Provides excellent customer service to all patients and system stakeholders of the Emergency department.
- Receiving and assisting patients in a caring and friendly manner and dealing with inquiries appropriately within departmental policies and guidelines.
- Works in a collegial manner with management, nursing, physicians, volunteers, and other staff across the organization as well as other health care facilities to ensure optimal communication and patient care.
- Follows appropriate processes to accurately obtain patient information for registering patient dependent on admission details, Accurately validates patient demographics and health care coverage information
- Using such systems as CRITICAL, CCIS and Cerner applications to electronically enters patient information to support patient care as required
- Directs patients and families to appropriate areas of the hospital and arranges assistance as necessary
- Ensures excellent data quality by following all procedures and standards associated with quality data.
- Addresses data quality concerns in a timely manner.
- Arranging patients’ appointments with Physicians or other services at the request of the nurse
- Arranging patient transfers and liaising with external agencies to book emergency and private transport of patients
- Accurately obtains Provincial Transfer Authorization Centre (PTAC) numbers
- Contacting on call consultants, other health care providers and external partners as requested and documenting consult request/arrival in Cerner.
- Completing EMR order enter duties within scope and adhering to organization policies and procedures. Accurately and efficiently prepares and distributes diagnostic reports as well as obtains reports from other facilities when requested.
- Accurately updates whiteboard as well as appropriate departments regarding discharges, diets etc.
- Answers and directs telephone calls and inquiries from other departments, outside agencies, physicians and other sources. Referring inquiries to appropriate person in a timely manner.
- Requesting and ordering supplies, also submits work orders to facilitate the smooth operation of the department
- Obtaining ODB lists through the drug profile viewer web portal.
- Look up medical records on Cerner aligned with privacy legislation and disposes of charts and entering of data collection items
- Assisting patients in the completions of WSIB paperwork and ensures all paperwork is completed for out of country or out of province patients.
- Ensuring isolation alerts in the CIS are relayed to nursing staff on patient’s registration.
- Maintaining communications log.
- Ensuring incoming results are placed on the correct client’s chart.
- Prepares daily duty rosters for all physicians on duty in ER and on call and distributes each morning.
- Maintains the work area in an orderly manner and assists with receiving, distributing and storing articles brought to the unit.
- Processing mail, photocopying, faxing, other related clerical duties as required
- Completes general departmental filing as well as retrieves and files copies of medical records and documentation for each patient when necessary.
- Ensuring prompt and safe service that meets accuracy and reliability standards.
- Maintaining professional working relationships with all members of the team including internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Provides break coverage to the Emergency Registration area as required.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by direct Manager or Team Lead.
- Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or equivalent is required
- Successful completion of a Medical Terminology course required
- Successful completion of the Hospitals Electronic Medical Record (EMR) training required upon hire
- Completion of Medical Office Administration course is an asset
- Completion of a recognized post-secondary diploma/degree is an asset
- Two (2) years OSMH emergency care clerk experience or demonstrated competency required
- Preference given to candidates with previous healthcare experience
- Preference given to candidates with good working knowledge of CRITCAL and Clinical Information System
- Preference given to candidates with experience working in an Emergency department in both registration and administrative roles as well as working with an EMR
- Demonstrated computer literacy and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, Outlook) is required
- Demonstrated familiarity with the hospital structure and functions
- Demonstrated keyboarding skills minimum 50 words per minutes
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills in English (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills to positively interact with a range of individuals in a variety of situations, which require tact, discretion and confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to be highly motivated and flexible with the ability to adapt quickly to new situations/challenges
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload and multitask under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a productive team member
- Understands and demonstrates through performance, an acceptable level of ethical conduct and a thorough understanding of discretion and confidentiality
- Demonstrated the ability to provide excellent customer service to all patients and system stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
- Demonstrates commitment to continued professional and personal growth and development through Continuing Education Programs and Self Directed Learning Opportunities.
Our Employees Enjoy
- a professional practice environment
- a collaborative atmosphere with emphasis on teamwork
- wellness initiatives
- continuing education grants
- employee recognition and assistance programs
- a competitive salary and benefits package
- equal opportunities for growth and development
OSMH is committed to diversity and equity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S persons and others who may contribute to a diverse workplace.
Accomodation in the Workplace
Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity, equal opportunity and maintaining a barrier-free selection process for job applicants. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known to the Human Resources department when contacted. All requests are handled confidentially.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
OSMH is committed to providing a safe, healthy and supportive working environment by treating team members and patients with compassion accountability respect and engagement.
All team members must adhere to OSMH’s Occupational Health and Safety policies, procedures and protocols, as well as the duties of workers as stipulated in the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Team members must be able to perform all bona fide and essential duties of the position which may include cognitive and physical demands.
As a condition of employment, new employees are required to complete an employment health assessment and must be cleared by the Occupational Health and Safety Team prior to orientation.
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital's Occupational Health and Safety department.
OSMH is a minimal fragrance workplace. We kindly ask all applicants to refrain from using scented products should they have the occasion to interview with the hospital. As a condition of employment OSMH requires professional references, verification of academic training, professional accreditation and evidence of course completion. It is also a condition of employment that all new employees will be required to present an original vulnerable sector check within 90 days of commencing employment and must sign an Offense Declaration upon receipt of an offer of employment.
If you are interested in joining our team, please apply online before 11:59 pm on the posting close date. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Are you interested in this job?