New Job Assessor In Yukon
This is for a full-time permanent position, working 75 hours bi-weekly.
Community Services is working to build vibrant, healthy and sustainable Yukon communities. The department does this through the provision of a diverse range of services to Yukon communities. We are committed to our core values. At Community Services we believe Respect is the foundation of our organization, Collaboration is achieved through inclusive approaches and sharing of diverse perspectives, Service Excellence is the standard for all our interactions, and Integrity is achieved through honest, committed and accountable public service.
The Property Assessment and Taxation Branch is responsible for providing taxing authorities with current, accurate and equitable property assessments along with the delivery of companion programs. Within these responsibilities, Assessors conduct property tax assessments; appear before the Assessment Review Board, the Assessment Appeal Board, and respond to public inquiries regarding property assessment and taxation.
We are currently looking for a self-motivated individual to join our team. Ideally, this individual should enjoy working independently; be interested in traveling throughout the territory; and be familiar with building construction, building plans/blueprints, property assessment and with building costing manuals including computer assisted programs. This individual, with their strong communication skills, will be comfortable operating within a quasi-judicial process, and possess the ability to remain professional and diplomatic when dealing with the occasionally dissatisfied client.
For more information about this position, please contact Kathryne Janz at (867) 667-5266 or email [email protected].
For more information about applying on a Community Services competition, contact Paulina Bataligin at (867) 332-4689 or email [email protected].
Please do not email resumes to either of these addresses; resumes may only be accepted through the e-recruitment system.
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications – specifically – how your work experiences and related duties align with the essential qualifications shown below. Selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume. When you list your work experience in your resume, please include the month and year you started and ended a job. This allows us to accurately calculate the length of time you were in the position. Candidates will not be solicited for incomplete or possible missing information.
- Coursework in Property Assessment/Appraisal or a related field
- Experience applying property assessment/appraisal techniques to arrive at a value
- Experience interpreting legislation and regulations
- Experience interpreting and analyzing real property markets and
- Experience costing buildings and/or using a Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal (CAMA) software.
- Experience responding to public inquiries and complaints regarding property assessment and taxation would be an asset.
Candidates who have education, training, and/or experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above may be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Experience working with building plans or blueprints
- Familiarity with building construction
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently
- Strong ability to organize and manage time to meet critical deadlines
Conditions of Employment: Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
Job Requirements: Travel throughout the Yukon conducting on-site inspections.