New Job Advisor, Health & Safety In Alberta
|Advisor, Health & Safety|
Advisor, Health & Safety
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Alberta
Requisition ID: 1991
Position Type: Temporary Full Time
Fixed Term Duration: Approximately twelve (12) months
Number of Openings: 1
Bi-weekly Working Hours: 70 hours bi-weekly
Department/ Branch: Human Resources, Health and Safety
Job Location: Fort McMurray
Salary Range: Competitive Salary
COLA: Bi-Weekly - $480
Closing Date (dd/mm/yyyy): 28/05/2023
Posting Type: Internal and External
The Advisor, Health and Safety provides on-site support to ensure the effective execution of the Municipality’s health and safety management system, including codes of practice and contractor management. This role directs involvement in daily operations and maintains responsibility for program administration. Primary responsibilities of the position include:
Guidance: Facilitates awareness and compliance with regulations, policies, procedures, practices, industry standards, and best practices. Develops and maintains relationships with all stakeholders, as well as an advocate for continuous performance improvements. Provides guidance to frontline staff, supervisors and managers on all health and safety management system components.
Program Development: Assists in the development of comprehensive hazard management, incident management, and contractor management programs. Conducts research and provides recommendations to support compliance with regulations, industry standards, and best practices. Supports the development of policies and practices. Responsible to develop procedures, analyze data, measure performance, and assess system effectiveness.
Service Delivery: Assists in identifying, prioritizing, and managing health and safety related risks. Resolves health and safety related enquiries and concerns with the support of the health and safety team. Conducts positive interventions, inspections, audits, and investigations. Responsible to identify trends, gaps, and best practices. Supports and/or delivers safety orientations, training, and coaching. Ensures the effective implementation of preventative measures, action items, and recommendations. Facilitates health and safety related training, safety meetings, and toolbox talks.
Candidates need to show evidence of the following:
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with leadership, management, and workers in a transparent manner that builds trust, confidence, credibility, and respect.
- Responsible self-starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including clear and concise messages and clarification on the application of legislation, regulations, policies, practices, and procedures.
- Collaborative approach that enables the integration of the health and safety management system into operations, as well as reinforce a positive health and safety culture, and support behavioral changes.
- Problem solving capabilities that allows to identify, prioritize, and manage risks.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Recognized Municipal Health and Safety Advisor (RMSA) or National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) certification is required.
- Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety is required.
- Auditor certification from Alberta Municipal Health and Safety Association (AMHSA), ICS, H2S Alive, Fall Protection, Confined Space, and Ground Disturbance certifications is required.
- Eligible to obtain a health and safety technician designation is preferred (Canadian Registered Safety Technician or Registered Occupational Hygiene Technologist).
- An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
Five (5) years of experience in a health and safety advisor capacity is required.
- Experience working in a public-sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees is considered an asset.
Ability to provide a Criminal Record Check for review and acceptance.
- A valid Class Five (5) Operator’s License is required as incumbent will be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business use on a regular basis.
- Clean driver’s abstract is considered an asset.
- Must be willing to work outside in all conditions.
- Immunizations are strongly recommended for work in unsanitary conditions.
- Must be medically and physically able to perform job.
- Auditory testing may be required.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations outside of regular business hours if required.
As an employee of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the incumbent is responsible and accountable for knowing and working in accordance with the Health and Safety Directive. As per Section 2 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the incumbent shall ensure, while in the employ of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the health and safety of employees, contractors, and the public.
To apply: Please visit our website at jobs.rmwb.ca
Current employees must apply through the internal careers site.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted. Late applications will not be accepted.