New Job 23 T105 -Tantalus School - 1.0 Fte - Temporary Grade 7/8 Teacher In Yukon
|23 T105 -TANTALUS SCHOOL - 1.0 FTE - Temporary Grade 7/8 Teacher|
23 T105 -TANTALUS SCHOOL - 1.0 FTE - Temporary Grade 7/8 Teacher
Company : Toronto Catholic District School Board
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
Tantalus Community School is located in the Village of Carmacks on the traditional territory of Little Salmon/Carmacks First Nation. Situated at the confluence of Yukon and Nordenskiold rivers, Carmacks is 180 kilometers north of Whitehorse on the Klondike Highway. The Village of Carmacks offers amazing hiking and recreation opportunities as well as amenities such as gym and weight room, indoor pool, youth centre, golf course, and, coming soon, a multi-functional indoor arena.
Tantalus Community School nurtures and educates around 112 students. Tantalus School strives to offer high quality instruction using the British Columbia curriculum while integrating a project and inquiry based approach. Our school Mission Statement is: Tantalus Hats Edan Ku prepares students to contribute, self-sufficient and self-confident members of society. With Parents & Guardians and our School-Community, students learn through engagement and in a safe learning environment. Programs reflect our Northern Tutchone values of caring, sharing, teaching, and respect.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Please clearly demonstrate on your cover letter and resume, how you meet the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor of Education or equivalent;
- Experience teaching (including practicum) at secondary levels including individualized instructional processes;
- Recent experience adapting, modifying and implementing curriculum to meet the unique learning needs of a diverse student population;
- Recent experience teaching social sciences, art and/or physical education at the high school level;
- Experience working with First Nations students and integrating First Nations ways of knowing and doing into programming would be an asset;
- Experience in developing individualized grad plans would be an asset;
- Experience planning and implementing small group educational programming would be an asset.
- Recent experience working in a self-paced and self-directed learning environment would be considered an asset
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND SUITABILITY:
- A philosophy of inclusive education; excellent interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to work closely with students, staff, parents/caregivers, consultants, and community agencies, in meeting the social, emotional, and academic needs of all students;
- Knowledge of the Calls to Action in Education by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and understanding of the past and current issues experienced by First Nations students.
- Awareness and appreciation of the need to create an inclusive learning environment for a diverse group of students;
- Understanding of physical literacy principles;
- Experience with experiential, outdoor, or recreational education.
- Strong background and knowledge in current assessment pedagogy and practices;
- Strong planning, organizational, and documenting skills;
- Ability to work as a member of a professional team and a willingness to participate in the total school program to promote, support, and contribute to the overall school goals and initiatives;
- Ability to adapt and modify and implement curriculum to meet each student’s needs;
- Ability to use technology to increase engagement and enhance student learning;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a small staff, in an open classroom and a flexible time schedule;
- Ability to design and implement land based and culturally relevant programming;
- Class IV driver’s license would be considered an asset.
- To be a Teacher in Yukon, you must hold a Teacher Certification in another Canadian province/territory first;
- Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check;
- Relocation may be available;
- In communities outside Whitehorse, there may be affordable, shared, though sometimes modest, rental accommodation provided by Yukon Housing Corporation. If not available, candidates will need to find their own private accommodation. Private accommodation may be limited. For more information on rural communities in the Yukon, visit: http://yukoncommunities.yk.ca
If you have any questions, please contact: Trevor Ratcliff, Superintendent – Area 2 [email protected]
TO APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY, GO TO:
- Cover Letter