New Job Town Clerk In Newfoundland And Labrador
Company : Town of Port au Port East
Salary : $20 an hour
Location : Newfoundland and Labrador
The Town Clerk is responsible for legislative and administrative work in the recording and maintenance of the official actions and records of the Town.
Skills & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall administration and management of the Town on a day-to-day basis, including day to day correspondence included but not limited to letter writing, bank deposit submissions, composition of proclamations, resolutions, new ordinances, answers to citizen complaints, work orders for service delivery, etc.
- Provide leadership to monitor and support the professional development and training needs of staff on a continuous basis
- Provide advice and facts, in conjunction with appropriate staff member(s) to aid council in making decisions
- Provide and maintain a positive working relationship with all members of staff, council, community organizations, business groups, and members of the public
- Interpret and apply all provincial and municipal standards, acts, and regulations
- Supervise and delegate all staff to ensure Council and committee decisions and recommendations are followed through
- Shall lead and play a critical role in the preparation of the municipal budget and make recommendations concerning budget lines, revenues, and expenditures, borrowing and investments, or any other financial matters
- Assist with enforcing the Town’s Tax Collection policy where taxes are delinquent and shall take other appropriate action as necessary (or as directed by Council) for the collection of outstanding payments and taxes
- Ensure effective control over all expenditures within the Town and ensure staff follow purchasing policies and procedures and expenditures fall within the approved budget, and working with External Auditors to prepare and complete the annual audit every year
- Responsible for finding, preparing, and administering grants, bid preparations, and executions of the same.
- Communicate respectively and accurately with residents surrounding any issues, complaints or concerns that are brought forward in a timely and appropriate manner
- Shall ensure the Mayor is adequately and timely informed on all significant issues and decisions undertaken at the staff level in order to address issues/questions that may be raised in a public domain
- Shall act as the returning officer and perform all required duties under the Elections Act for all municipal elections and/or by-elections
- Seek legal advice on behalf of the Town as required
- Ensure a respectful workplace for all employees that is free of intimidation and harassment.
- Work to resolve employee concerns or settle disputes and differences either directly or in consultation
- Follow specific directions given by Council and ensure all decisions are legal and follow professional ethics
- Attend all committee(s) of Council meetings, Committee of the Whole meetings, and Council meetings, which may or may not take place out of regularly scheduled work hours, writes minutes of these meetings, coordinates agenda preparation, publication, and distribution.
- Shall carry out all other reasonable duties and responsibilities related to the position of the Town Clerk as directed by Council to ensure the safe, efficient, and overall effective operation of the Town on a day-to-day basis and all other duties and responsibilities related to this position as required by law.
- Perform Oath of Office
- Update and post notices on the Town’s website and social media
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in accounting, finance, or business administration, or in a related field, working with appointed or volunteer boards; a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a municipal or equivalent administrative position; training and experience in general office procedures, computer skills, proven interpersonal leadership, excellent written and verbal communication skills, a strong understanding of finance and customer service focus; or any equivalent combination or experience and training acceptable to the Town. A Criminal Records Check will be required.
- Exceptional skills in the administration of Personnel, leadership, financial management, grant applications, and public relations required.
Applications must be received at the Town Office no later than 4:00PM on Thursday, May 11th, 2023 and can be submitted using one of the following options:
By Fax: 709-648-9481
By Email: [email protected]
Drop Off: Town of Port au Port East
9 Hynes Road
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-05-11