New Job Superintendent, Transit Fleet In Nova Scotia
|Superintendent, Transit Fleet
Superintendent, Transit Fleet
Company : Halifax Regional Municipality
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nova Scotia
Preference will be given to candidates who self-identify as African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Women in occupations or positions where they are underrepresented in the workforce, Indigenous/Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities and 2SLGBTQ+ Persons. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify on their electronic application.
Under the general direction of the Director Transit Fleet, the Superintendent is responsible and accountable for the delivery of high-quality operations and maintenance services for all Halifax Transit vehicles. This includes daily operations related to preventative and corrective maintenance as well as servicing of vehicles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Using the Fleet Focus preventative maintenance system, set priorities on the delivery of service and report on the delivery of the required vehicles
- Provide operations and preventative maintenance service in HRM owned or leased Vehicles
- Ensure that outcomes contained in the business plan are achieved and contribute to the long-term business strategies of HRM
- Ensure safety standards are set and expectations are met or exceeded
- Ensures adherence to HRM’s Occupational Health & Safety Program; liaises with HRM’s Corporate Safety representatives; works in conjunction with Corporate Safety to address Health & Safety concerns
- Participate in the development and implementation of policies and procedures and the development of quality standards and repair targets
- Commitment to creating an environment that will foster and support change in the workplace relative to industry trends
- Supports the Director through providing input in the formulation of strategic policies and direction as it relates to ensuring Transit Fleet’s assets are meeting the requirements of “good state of repair”, internal controls, and the long-term vision and sustainability of municipal assets
- Prepare, manage, and submit Operating budget projections and develop future budget expectations
- Monitor expenditures ensuring adherence to budgetary targets, assure proper approval process is followed
- Initiate and implement best repair and maintenance practices, and standards to maintain high quality vehicle services
- Ensure work order requested are completed in a timely and efficient manner that meets the expectations of customers
- Responsible for the creation and updating of specifications for the tendering and purchase of new vehicles and equipment
- Responsible for the final acceptance and inspection of new vehicles to assure both bid and tender compliance to a specifications and accessory components
- Seeks the input of customers to continuously refine service delivery and customer satisfaction
- Ensures that service delivery is responsive to the needs of the clients while maintaining fiscal responsibility
- Enhancement of service delivery levels and the cost-effective use of resources
- Introduce strategies to ensure high morale among employees
- Develop alternative service delivery strategies that enhance service levels, and/or reduce expenditures
- Foster the development of highly qualified and competent staff, and improved management practices; exercise a high degree of effective delegation of authority and effective decision- making
- Provides effective Human Resources Management, administering Human Resources programs (Substance Abuse Prevention, Attendance Support Management) and creating and maintaining a positive work environment that is conducive to high morale and performance
- Collaborates with, and is accountable to, stakeholders to ensure the quality and delivery of services throughout HRM. Coordinates resources to provide quality public service, as well as an on-going commitment to innovation and customer service
- Interprets Collective Agreements and coordinates consistency of implementation. Participates in grievance meetings, arbitration hearings, implementation of a progressive/corrective disciplinary action system, training procedures, transfers, LMR (Labour Management Relations) meetings, contract negotiations and strike planning, liaises with other departments regarding labour relations matters.
- Coordinates and manages special projects within Fleet with the assistance of external stakeholders.
- Manages sustainable greening initiatives such as alternative fuels, tire management, fuel cost savings initiatives.
- Manages process improvements within preventative maintenance obligations.
Education & Experience
- The incumbent shall possess an accredited tradesmen classification and/or a post-secondary degree in Business Administration, Engineering, or a suitable combination of education and experience.
- 5 years’ experience in the Fleet Management field.
- Experience and knowledge around budget planning and monitoring; work order processes, and achievement motivation in a unionized environment.
- Thorough knowledge of vehicle operations, repairs, and maintenance practices
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational safety, and environmental regulations & practices
- Comprehensive knowledge of managing in a unionized environment
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of transit systems and operational policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of relevant Motor Vehicle, Motor Carrier and OH&S legislation and regulations
***Please note - Testing may be conducted as a component of the selection process to assess technical and job specific knowledge. Candidates who are selected for testing, may be tested in a group setting, scheduled at the employer’s discretion.
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Successful candidates will be required to submit an acceptable Criminal Records Check.
COMPETENCIES: Valuing Diversity; Analytical Thinking; Communications; Customer Service; Decision Making; Developing Others; Organizational Awareness; Teamwork & Cooperation; Value & Ethics; Visioning, Strategic Thinking & Innovation.
WORK STATUS: Temporary, Full time
HOURS OF WORK: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm; Normal working hours are based on a 35 hour week; work outside these hours is routinely required due to heavy workload.
SALARY: NU9 of the Non-Union Salary Scale ($94,540 - $129,990)
WORK LOCATION: Ragged Lake Transit Centre, 110 Grassy Lake Dr, Halifax, NS
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be received up to midnight on April 27, 2023.
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for interview/testing will be contacted.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.
(Position # 72294326)