New Job Specialized Operator In Alberta
Company : Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Salary : $41.24 an hour
Location : Alberta
Requisition ID: 1940
Affiliation: CUPE Transit
Position Type: Temporary Full Time
Fixed Term Duration: Approximately five (5) months
Number of Openings: 1
Bi-weekly Working Hours: 80 hours bi-weekly
Department/ Branch: Public Works, Transit
Job Location: Fort McMurray
Rate: $ 41.24
COLA: Bi-Weekly - $480
Closing Date (dd/mm/yyyy): 14/05/2023
Posting Type: Internal and External
Specialized Transit is convenient, accessible transportation for seniors or those with special needs who are unable to use the Conventional Transit service. All buses are equipped with wheelchair lifts. Specialized Bus Operators are responsible for the safe operation of the Municipality’s Specialized Transit buses and efficient delivery of services to qualified clients with due diligence for their safety/wellness. Customer service is a large part of the daily duties as operators must be able to communicate effectively with passengers and respond to their needs. Specialized Bus Operators must constantly monitor their passengers and exercise a great deal of tact and diplomacy. This position must also take into account traffic, road and weather conditions in the course of operations.
Report to dispatch or start location at the beginning of shift and review operators’ notices.
- Review and confirm shift schedule and route for the shift.
- Check and visually inspect vehicle for pre-trip.
- Drive vehicle and practice defensive driving techniques.
- Follow applicable traffic laws at all times.
- Assess and monitor vehicle operating conditions, and report issues.
- Pull vehicle into scheduled pick-up location ensuring accessibility needs for passenger at met.
- Assist and evaluate needs of qualified seniors/special needs clients in and out of residence/destination, may include helping with personal assistive devices required for mobility such as a cane, walker, manual or power wheelchair, etc.
- Board and exit passengers. All buses have wheelchair accessible features, which require Specialized Bus Operators to assist passengers on and off the bus by operating ramps and securing wheelchairs.
- Assist with client’s personal items, packages, and luggage (maximum weight of 50lbs).
- Daily interaction with transit riders focused on safety, accessibility, customer service, quality, and improvement of the Specialized Transit experience.
- Greet and acknowledge passengers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Anticipate potential problems and handle customer complaints.
- Respond inquiries to passenger.
- Ensure passenger safety and comfort.
- Monitor collection of fares and advise of fare requirements.
- Monitor passenger loads.
- Inform passengers of vehicle rules and regulations as required.
- Follow safe boarding and exiting procedures.
- Ensure all door areas and aisles are clear of items.
- Ensure passengers are seated or secure.
- Monitor the behaviour of passengers to ensure the safety of others and make contact with the Communications Centre for assistance as needed.
- Document issues and concerns and provide the information to the Communications Centre.
- Anticipate passenger emergencies and respond to medical emergencies.
- Respond to on-board emergencies, evacuating passengers as needed.
- Respond to incidents and accidents, seek assistance as required, and completed required reports.
- Drive vehicle in congested areas.
- Follow planned schedule route and respond to schedule and routing adjustments.
- Monitor speed and time points, and report deviation from schedule to the Communications Centre.
- Conduct post-operations procedures.
- Conduct post-trip inspection, and report lost items.
- Report issues affecting safety and/or normal routing.
- Check out with dispatch.
- Assist and mentor new drivers during orientation/demonstrations in accordance to the Special Transportation Drivers Handbook and Program.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Capable of meeting the physical demands of the job such as lifting client’s personal items (maximum of 50lbs), sitting for prolonged periods of time, reaching, gripping, pushing/pulling of steering wheel, twisting and turning of neck, sensory/perceptual demands along with good concentration.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Able to demonstrate dependability and reliability.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Able to react quickly and remain calm in difficult and stressful situations.
- Able to understand, speak, read, write English in order to learn training materials, communicate effectively with the travelling public, and complete written reports.
- Able to perform scheduled activities on rotating shifts, including evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays.
- Ability to obtain First Aid/CPR Certificate is required within three (3) months of employment.
- Ability to complete Defensive Driving course.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
- Three (3) years of experience working in a service occupation dealing directly with customers.
- Five (5) years of recent driving experience.
- Minimum six (6) months experience in the transit industry. Driving experience in a transit environment is an asset.
- Knowledge of requirements for Specialized Transportation busing.
- Completion of a defensive driving course is an asset.
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certificate is an asset.
Ability to provide a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search for review and acceptance.
- A valid Class Two (2) Operator’s Licence is required.
- Q-endorsement (Air Brakes) is required.
- A safe driving record is required (no more than 2 demerit points and no more than 1 at-fault accident)
- Equipment field testing and/or competency testing will be required as part of the interview evaluation.
- Must be willing to work outside in all conditions.
- Must be medically and physically able to perform all duties of the position on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to work a rotating shift that includes holidays, evening/night shift, and weekends.
As an employee of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the incumbent is responsible for understanding and actively participating in the RMWB’s health and safety management system, including all policies, practices, procedures, as well as properly utilizing all control measures including the required use of personal protective equipment. All employees must take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of themselves and others, as well as immediately report any concerns, near misses, incidents, and hazardous conditions to their supervisor.
To apply: Please visit our website at jobs.rmwb.ca
Current employees must apply through the internal careers site.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted. Late applications will not be accepted.