New Job Policy Analyst In Alberta
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $4,621–$6,062 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 40617
Ministry: Jobs, Economy, and Northern Development
Location: Edmonton or Calgary, Alberta
Full or Part-Time: Full-Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: April 22, 2023
Classification: Program Services 2
The Ministry of Jobs, Economy, and Northern Development has an exciting opportunity and is looking for a Policy Analyst to join our team!
As a Policy Analyst, you will support the development of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) and Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) legislation to provide strategic policy advice to inform decision making by senior leadership and affected stakeholders related to the OHS Act, OHS Regulation and OHS Code; and WCB Act and associated regulations.
Reporting to the manager of the OHS-WCB Policy Team, the incumbent will support OHS and WCB policy development and strategic initiatives undertaken by the unit, such as legislative and regulatory review activities. This will include conducting research, analysis, consultation planning, preparing various types of documentation such as cabinet reports, policy papers, briefing notes, option papers and discussion papers.
Working in a highly collaborative and team-based environment, the incumbent must be able to establish and maintain strong effective working relationships with all staff. The incumbent must have excellent verbal and written communication skills to be able to communicate effectively with staff and stakeholders.
In your role as an Policy Analyst, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Conduct research with respect to legislative approaches to OHS and WCB in Canada and internationally to identify leading practices and to support legislative and regulatory reviews. Assist in identifying options and recommendations for Alberta’s OHS and WCB legislative framework.
- Conduct research (including environmental scanning and critical literature reviews) on OHS and WCB issues and develop discussion or concept papers.
- Undertake background research as needed to prepare correspondence and briefings, either in response to action requests or on a proactive basis to support senior department officials and the Minister.
- Participate in planning activities for major projects and use project management skills to ensure projects completion.
- Work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team and have the ability to understand and incorporate the contributions and perspectives of each of the disciplines.
- Use Microsoft Excel and other programs to produce tables, graphs and charts for data analysis and visualization.
- Collaborate with other teams, branches, divisions, ministries, and governments in conducting research and analysis to ensure thoroughness and consistency in the development of OHS and WCB policy.
- Disseminate shared information and findings using the most appropriate mediums so that their full scope and importance are effectively relayed.
- Apply research methods and analytical tools to gather data and information using quantitative and/or qualitative research analysis skills.
University graduate in a related field (Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Business, or other related field); or equivalent as described below.
Directly related education or experience considered on the basis of:
- 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or
- 1 year of experience for 1 year of education.
The following are considered assets:
- Experience writing reports and/or executive briefing notes is considered an asset.
- Experience in project management.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong research, planning and execution skills.
- Knowledge of the Alberta OHS and WCB legislation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio, Power Point), Adobe Acrobat.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
In this role, you will contribute to our team by demonstrating the following behavioral competencies:
- Systems Thinking - Consider the impact of strategies and changes on the work of clients, stakeholders, and team members and support organization vision and goals through strategic planning of tasks and considering relationships between different work approaches and their impact on different programs, divisions and ministries.
- Creative Problem Solving - Facilitate the creation of a work environment for generating and finding newer ideas to solve existing and potential problems.
- Agility - Ability to create an adaptable environment and overcome barriers through proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Drive for Results - Design and manage projects to achieve intended outcomes and deliverables within allotted timeframes.
- Build Collaborative Environment - Leads and contributes to the conditions and environments that allow people to work collaboratively and productively to achieve outcomes.
- Develop Networks - Develop and sustain a network of relationships across the department and with other GOA ministries on issues and work with other branches to develop effective communication channels to enhance and maximize the effectiveness of interactions
$2,310.48 to $3,030.81 Bi-weekly: ($60,303 - $79,104/year)
There is one (1) permanent, full-time position working 36.25 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
This position is based in either Edmonton or Calgary. We require you to attach a Cover Letter with your application explaining your qualification and suitability for this role.
Top candidates will be required to undergo security screening.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies across the government of Alberta, at equal or lower classification and salary.
For more information on the Government of Alberta hiring process, view this link:
Links and information on what the GOA have to offer to prospective employees:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Comprehensive benefits plan:
- Pension plan:
- Health Spending Account:
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact at Alba Ngjelo at [email protected].
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check