New Job Medical Laboratory Assistant - Laboratory Services In Nova Scotia
|Medical Laboratory Assistant - Laboratory Services|
Medical Laboratory Assistant - Laboratory Services
Company : Nova Scotia Health Authority
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nova Scotia
Req ID: 143282
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Eastern Zone, St. Martha's Regional Hospital
Department: PLM Laboratory Services SMRH
Type of Employment: Temporary Hourly FT long-assignment (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Status: CUPE Healthcare Position
Posting Closing Date: 2-May-23
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there's a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with an Nova Scotia Health role means you'll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out www.novascotia.com to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
About the Opportunity
Under the direction of Management (or designate), the Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA) works in collaboration with and supports all members of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (PLM) by performing various functions relating to the pre and post-analytical phases of testing. These functions can include: specimen procurement/receipt/processing, data entry, media/reagent/smear preparation, sterilization, clerical duties, and loading specimens on an analyzer. Additional responsibilities may include: supply management, troubleshooting, and customer service activities.
Positive patient identification and accurate specimen handling are essential to the job. Duties vary based on the operational requirements of the laboratory site/division/area/community in which the MLA is employed. The MLA may be required to work rotating shifts, weekends, and/or holidays, work off-site including long term care (LTC) facilities, communities or private homes dependent on the need. The MLA may also be required to interact with various stakeholders and clients. Incumbents must adhere to all applicable NSH/PLM policies and procedures. Strict adherence to safety and infection prevention and control procedures is required. MLAs must be able to work independently, use good judgment, maintain a professional appearance (adhering to dress code policy) and demonstrate excellent customer service.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
- Recognized Medical Laboratory Assistant Program or equivalent (as determined by employer)
- Candidates must have successfully completed the Medical Laboratory Assistant examinations of the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) and have current registration with CSMLS (Where there are no applicants who meet the above qualification, consideration may be given to applicants who agree and commit to completing an accredited MLA program and achieving certification with CSMLS within one year of hire date)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic understanding of medical terminology.
- Strong attention to detail
- Manual dexterity to handle sharp instruments and small objects.
- Must be able to perform procedures with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to accurately number/label specimens and file slides/requisitions
- Ability to adapt to updates/changes in operating procedures
- Basic computer skills, Meditech experience is preferred
- Access to reliable transportation as travel may be required
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Please ensure your resume is up to date and includes all relevant education, experience, training, and certifications.
- Long Assignment, Full-Time position; 75 hours biweekly
- Beginning as soon as possible for approximately 36 months
- Dates are approximate and are subject to change
Compensation and Incentives
$22.74 - $25.76 hourly
Successful candidates may be eligible for our benefits package which includes health, dental, travel, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage as well as a defined benefit pension plan.
Once You've Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Healthcare bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
As per the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Protocol in High-Risk Settings, Nova Scotia Health requires all team members to be fully vaccinated by November 30th, 2021.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Immigrants/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.