New Job Manager, Real Estate And Leasing In British Columbia
|Manager, Real Estate and Leasing
Manager, Real Estate and Leasing
Company : Vancouver Coastal Health
Salary : Details not provided
Location : British Columbia
Reporting to the Director, Real Estate and Leasing, the Manager is responsible and accountable for managing real estate leasing services for assigned community-based locations across Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) including the negotiation of new leases and lease renewals, coordination of tenant improvement projects, working with and managing external providers, consultants and other agencies on various facilities projects and the preparation of facility planning feasibility studies and budgets. Manages and/or supports the Director, Real Estate, Property and Asset Management with the acquisition and disposition of real property; initiates on-going cost saving measures and develops new revenue opportunities; manages the level of risk during negotiations related to Real Estate and Leasing services; and makes broad based strategic decisions that enable the best opportunity for programs and services to be successful.
As a Manager, Real Estate and Leasing with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Negotiate and document all aspects of real estate services for the organization, including agreements for leasing projects, agreements for the acquisition and disposition of real property and other agreements such as licenses for telecommunication sites to generate revenues; manages lease contract preparation for projects by liaising with lawyers, real estate brokers, landlords, land surveyors, fee appraisers, project planners, consultants and various user groups.
- Prepare documents and negotiates property tax exemptions for owned and leased premises where applicable; initiates and leads project meetings and attends meetings with senior management.
- Identify and implement collaborative opportunities with internal and external stakeholders that optimize the value of real estate through efficient space use, program integration, enhancement of work environments and space planning coordination for co-location with other government or non-profit agencies.
- Provide real estate advice and counsel to Senior Management within the organization to assist with business and operational decisions.
- Develop interdepartmental policies and methods for improving accountability for multi-million dollar real estate based program budgets.
- Develop and implement action plans with interdepartmental (i.e. IM, IT, Protection Services, Workplace Health, Plant etc.) and external stakeholders to meet corporate and departmental goals and objectives.
- Provide input and recommendations in evaluating consultant selections, project tendering and strategic initiatives; develops standardized legal documentation for real estate transactions for use across the Organization.
- Work with external consultants such as appraisers, architects, engineers, commercial brokers, land surveyors, environmental consultants and other managers with new construction projects, renovations and/or maintenance projects by preparing feasibility analyses and project budget estimates; monitors project planning, manages assigned construction contracts and schedules to ensure lease commitments are met; coordinates the team to ensure that project requirements are met and facilities impacted are minimized.
- Review and revise drawings and specifications provided by internal staff and outside architectural and engineering consultants to ensure that drawings are consistent with project scope and budget; develops and prioritizes real estate infrastructure renewal plans, in consultation with the Director.
- Develop effective processes to assess project risks, identify risk mitigation strategies and monitor risks through the life cycle of the project; manages quality improvement initiatives to minimize and/or mitigate risks for assigned projects; establishes ongoing support for initiatives from project sponsors and user groups; keeps stakeholders aware of project status, project design, construction issues, operational efficiency and environmental sustainability.
- Initiate and develop partnerships with public and private sector agencies and companies to acquire, lease or sell property interests related to the organization’s programs with the intent of creating an equitable interest.
- Initiate the development and approvals, policies, guidelines and strategies for the organization to create more effective and efficient operations; promotes long-term sustainability objectives through the development of revenue generating projects and real estate business planning projects, business cases and lease strategies.
- Assist the Director, Real Estate, Property and Asset Management with the preparation and management of the department’s operating and capital budgets, recommending cost saving or revenue generating opportunities; prepares various real estate reports, including briefing notes, business cases for senior management review and/or approval.
- Develop and maintain key external stakeholder relations with Municipalities, School Boards, Ministries, Non-Profit organizations, and others, and participates on various committees, as assigned.
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately reports unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Urban Land Economics and/or related discipline, a professional designation.
- Seven (7) years’ recent, related, experience in all phases of public and private sector commercial real estate projects including three (3) years’ progressive leadership/management experience in a corporate real estate and leasing environment, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of real estate laws and taxes, legal contracts, real estate transaction complexities, real estate appraisals, lease and contract terms, land planning, site evaluation, cost estimation and space analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of real estate project implementation process including design, construction and procurements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of market survey techniques as it relates to buying, selling or leasing properties.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles, methodologies and ability to coach team members in these skills.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills including the ability to facilitate consensus with various stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and direct large groups of external consultants, architects and other stakeholders from project inception to completion.
- Demonstrated knowledge of capital and operating budget control and related financial management.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure with timelines and changing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently and as a member of a team.
- Broad knowledge of patient care delivery systems in community settings.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment including related software applications.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and deliveri
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply online via the Internal Career Portal on CareerHub, you are currently viewing the External Career Portal. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for instructions on how to view internal job postings and how to apply as an employee. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.