New Job Manager, Applied Research In Alberta
|Manager, Applied Research
Manager, Applied Research
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $109,575–$136,997 a year
Location : Alberta
MANAGER, APPLIED RESEARCH
RESEARCH AND ACADEMIC INNOVATION
NorQuesters are difference makers and we’re searching for someone who can lead from where they are and can start small and think BIG to join our Research and Academic Innovation team as a Manager of Applied Research.
Reporting to the Vice Dean of Research, the Manager of Applied Research plays a key role in supporting the achievement of the college’s strategic goals including the successful implementation of its Research Plan. The Manager leads a team of high performing research professionals who actively develop and pursue research projects and partnership on behalf of NorQuest College, and builds applied research capacity across the organization by providing guidance, mentorship, and support.
Are you a strong leader with a network of industry, business, community and governmental contacts, a passion for research, and the drive to engage with other Applied Research leaders throughout Alberta and across Canada to develop strategic applied research partnerships and multi-institution projects? We’d love to have you join us on our journey towards NorQuest 2030: We Are Who We Include.
HOW YOU'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Lead a high functioning Applied Research team that develops original research projects and partnerships, as well as supports applied research proposal development, activities, and growth across the organization.
- Ensure all research projects held by or led by the Research Office staff conform to all college and funder implementation, expenditure, and reporting requirements.
- Develop research proposals, including establishing partnerships, scope of work, timelines, deliverables, and budgets.
- Hire staff and manage research project budgets, timelines, deliverables, and teams.
- Promote internal and external awareness of applied research initiatives and services, including facilitating research dissemination activities and capacity building.
- Identify and propose new opportunities to build research capacity, cross-faculty networking, and inter-college collaborations.
- Establish new and build upon existing partnerships between units of the college and between the college and external partners (industry, business, peer institutions, community organizations, and governmental departments).
- Liaise with college leadership in matters related to applied research, including skill development, project implementation, research ethics, financial tracking, partnership management, and funder-required reporting.
- Develop and maintain the external research profile for the College.
- Provide leadership for the College’s Applied Research Strategy, including identifying and implementing models of research for each faculty and department.
- Identify and assess new applied research opportunities that align with College priority areas.
- Secure ongoing external funding of applied research activities, including identifying and securing new funding sources and strategic partnerships.
WHAT YOU BRING
PhD in a related field or a Master’s degree with considerable research experience and a history of securing research funding.
- Minimum of 5 years’ leading research projects; research project management experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience leading multiple research projects and research teams simultaneously.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience mentoring novice researchers; previous experience developing research training materials/resources is considered an asset.
- A strong understanding of the applied research development life cycle.
- A good understanding of Intellectual Property in the research context.
WHAT MAKES YOU A DIFFERENCE MAKER
Experience in securing research funding through the Tri-Agency, Government of Canada, provincial government, and/or private research investment.
- A strong understanding of the funding landscape in Canada.
- Understanding of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods methodologies.
- Understanding of program evaluation methodologies.
- Experience with community-based research.
- A strong understanding of equity, diversity, inclusions, and anti-oppressive practices as they apply in research.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent financial management skills.
SALARY: $109,575 - $136,997 Reflective upon what you bring. AKA your education and experience. Plus, immediate access to our great pension and benefit programs.
We offer flexible work options. We strive for balance between a flexible work environment, connectedness to the campus community, and ensuring NorQuesters are set up to succeed in their roles and responsibilities.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 2023-3956
CLOSING DATE: Tuesday, May 9, 2023 @ 11:59 PM MST
APPLY TO BECOME A NORQUESTER: If this opportunity delights you and your expertise will shine in this role, we invite you to apply for this position online by uploading your resume and cover letter combined as one document.
PSST: Only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted and we’ll make sure to do this within 28 days of the closing date.
Difference Makers. If we were to describe what NorQuest College is, we’d say these two words. We are so fundamentally driven in our mission to make a difference to our students, our community, and to our fellow NorQuesters, that it guides what we do, who we meet, and where we are headed.